PDA

View Full Version : Returned From Annual Lassen County Trout Fishing

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Another great week of trout fishing and spending time in the mtns with bro and sis-in-law in Old Station.
Hat Creek fishing was kind of slow because many of the locals have been fishing it hard since the DFG put a lot of broodstock in it. Most of them have been caught on nightcrawlers or PB. Broodstock to 7 lbs.
Most of the locals say the fishing isn't that good this year because of the weather being cooler than normal slowing down the insect hatches near the water.
I mostly fished Baum Lake because I had gotten a 10 ft Jon Boat for the bro-in-law and he wanted to test everything he had gotten for it to fish the small lakes in the area. Everything worked fine so we explored many areas of the lake. We managed to get quite a few bigger rainbows up to 5.25 lbs, most of them in the 2 to 3 lb class. All of them were of the Eagle Lake strain, brilliantly colored, tough fighting fish, and the meat orange like salmon. All of the other 12 to 15 inch fish were of another strain of rainbows, but still put on a great fight. We easily limited everyday, C&R'd many.
Also fished below Power Plant #1 on Hat Creek, too easy to catch limits in less than an hour on meal worms, PB, or Power Worms.
Above P P #1, the Forebay kicked out easy limits too. C&R'd most of those and kept enough for bbq'd trout dinner.
All in all another great time with the in-laws and time in the mtns trout fishing.
I need to figure out how to post pics....all too big, tried to resize them and still didn't work. Maybe print, scan, then upload will work. Will try to post them soon.
TTFM

RiverWalker
09-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Great Report TTFM! Sounds like you had a blast. Thanks for the info on the Shaver Lake area. We did really well even with the kids and wives....It's shame they're going to drain it next year!

Another great week of trout fishing and spending time in the mtns with bro and sis-in-law in Old Station.
Hat Creek fishing was kind of slow because many of the locals have been fishing it hard since the DFG put a lot of broodstock in it. Most of them have been caught on nightcrawlers or PB. Broodstock to 7 lbs.
Most of the locals say the fishing isn't that good this year because of the weather being cooler than normal slowing down the insect hatches near the water.
I mostly fished Baum Lake because I had gotten a 10 ft Jon Boat for the bro-in-law and he wanted to test everything he had gotten for it to fish the small lakes in the area. Everything worked fine so we explored many areas of the lake. We managed to get quite a few bigger rainbows up to 5.25 lbs, most of them in the 2 to 3 lb class. All of them were of the Eagle Lake strain, brilliantly colored, tough fighting fish, and the meat orange like salmon. All of the other 12 to 15 inch fish were of another strain of rainbows, but still put on a great fight. We easily limited everyday, C&R'd many.
Also fished below Power Plant #1 on Hat Creek, too easy to catch limits in less than an hour on meal worms, PB, or Power Worms.
Above P P #1, the Forebay kicked out easy limits too. C&R'd most of those and kept enough for bbq'd trout dinner.
All in all another great time with the in-laws and time in the mtns trout fishing.
I need to figure out how to post pics....all too big, tried to resize them and still didn't work. Maybe print, scan, then upload will work. Will try to post them soon.
TTFM