PDA

View Full Version : I Bought 2 new Fishing Kayaks

Ghost
08-12-2007, 06:46 PM
I told the wife that I wanted a fishing kayak for my birthday, that's coming up this week. So I got the Islander American Angler kayak(11' long, 28" beam). I bought it last Friday, cuz Dick's Sporting Goods had them for $399, a $100 less than original price. Now I haven't kayaked or fished from a kayak. I thought it would be cool to fish the river with.

http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/showBoat.html?boatID=1251&boattype=Kayaks&refer=REVIEW_PAGE

This yak, Perception America is similar to one I bought, the American Angler from Islander. The Islander version has another rod holder & in camo color.

Well the next day after work, I went to Dunhams Sporting Goods, to see what kayak stuff they had. I saw that they had a Pelican Castaway 116 DLX(11'6", 30" beam) on closeout for $349. So I asked the wife if I can buy that one too, to compare side by side w/ the Islander.

http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/showBoat.html?boatID=1902&boattype=Kayaks

Two different kinds of kayaks, the Islander is a sit in & the Pelican a sit on top. I only took both kayaks on the front lawn to sit in both & feel the difference & see how I can use a kayak paddle w/ both. I haven't brought either one of them to a lake or river to try out, yet. I don't want to mark them up so I can return the one I don't want. The Pelican is 10 lbs heavier & I can feel the difference loading it on top of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, it's almost like I need another person to load it. The Islander isn't that bad to load w/ one person.

Well, today I had a brilliant idea, why not keep both??? I thought it would be a great way for me & the wife to spend quality time together. I would like both of us to learn how to kayak. I found a place that we can learn. I've proposed the idea to her & she has sat in both kayaks & she preferred the Islander. Also, if she doesn't want to go 'yakking, I can bring one of my kids. I would love to have to different yaks for fishing & kickin' around.

I'm not gonna get rid of the Fat Cat float tube, actually a couple weeks ago I wanted to sell it, changed my mind & keeping it.

She's thinking about it, I hope she agrees that I can keep both, I really think we would have a blast!

Nessie Hunter
08-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Dang buddy, your coming up in the gear dept FAST... :shock:

Did you hit on those Lottery numbers I gave you (waiting for my 20%) or what?????

Congrats.............. :D