PDA

View Full Version : Bbl 8-4 & 8-5

etaggart
08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Triple D - Double-Double-Digits on Friday!!!!!

Father-in-Law Jim was up for the week and by the time we got up there he'd already scoped some hot spots. Fished from the boat Thursday morning 9am-3pm. Started at the Observatory working the bass - had a few taps, but no bass. Jim picked up a trout on the outside edges of the weeds. We move to his hot spot for the week. He proceeded to pick up way more than a dozen trout. I eventually picked up 5. All on powerbait floating up from the bottom.

Around 1pm we sped back to the dock to pick up the kids for a first-time fishing and lunch on the water. Zipped back to the spot hoping for more solid action. Each of the kids picked up one fish immediately (well, we did help a bit) - pix below. But the bite totally shut down on us and we headed back.

Friday morning woke a little later and fished 10-3. Went straight to the hot spot and each picked up a few, then slowed down. Decided to head west for drifting. I picked up a number more trouties, Jim picked up one or two. Went on the full troll for a bit - I picked up two or three more, Jim picked up one more. We then headed back to the hot spot. It wasn't wide open, but we were catching pretty regular and Jim nearly caught up - although I think I topped him by two or three fish for the day.

Jim, his wide and the grand kids are headed back Saturday morning, so no fishing :(

I'm planning to go out Sunday morning in the tube and am hoping I can get the same action on the fly standing right on the hot spot.

Cheers to all. A few pix below. None of the trout topped 2lbs. Most were just a hair over 1lb at best. Caught a few croppie in the mix.

Eric

Spaulding
08-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Nice.Good see the kiddies get some fish......Once the parasailing,jet skiers,water skiers,tour boats,paddle boats,paddle boarders,zip liners, swimmers,weeds, etc is over then the lake will be back to my liking...LOL

jmytuna
08-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Bummer about the bass. Glad the trout were cooperating. Access with tube or is it too much of a kick?

etaggart
08-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Hey Joe, Easy tube access. If you're up, I'll be at the mouth of Grout Bay early Sunday morning. Not sure when I'll be back - hopefully soon.

Cheers!

Sublime-Steve
08-06-2011, 11:00 PM
where can i get crappie from shore?

Kelster
08-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Something the kiddies won't forget for a long time. With all the good fishing @ Perris I haven't gotten back up to BBL since the trout tournament.

diamondbear
08-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Fishing midweek , between the dam and metcalf @ 5 colors lead line , middle of lk. did really well on some nice fish . db

vortec_cruiser
08-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I'll be at the mouth of Grout Bay...
Is there a place to park close by when tubing Grout Bay?

jmytuna
08-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Hey Joe, Easy tube access. If you're up, I'll be at the mouth of Grout Bay early Sunday morning. Not sure when I'll be back - hopefully soon.

Cheers!

Down the hill this weekend. Was there last week. See report

http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74069

Won't be back till later this month.

GdHkSet1
08-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Nice! Nothing like being on the water with the kids and catching nice trout, thanks for sharing!

etaggart
08-08-2011, 08:52 PM
@vortec - easy parking at windy point, just east of the big-***** houses :) Lots of people park/fish there from the shoreline. You can also park at Captain Johns (?) and launch from there - no cost.

etaggart
08-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Hey DiamondBear - Suprise trolling so many colors. Doesn't that put you down at like 20 feet+? What kind of lures were you using? Our trolling's been hitting high in the water, but they've been relative dinks. Also curious how many you picked up and in how much time :)

Thanks!!

Eric

etaggart
08-08-2011, 09:09 PM
@Joe, That's one sick bass report at scsurffishing - I need to learn more from the master ;)

seal
08-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the report!!!

Will be up there tugging streamers on Sunday with my fly tying bud from Henderson, we'll be in tubes if you see a couple of skinny rods out on the water say Hi!

2jackedLUNGS
08-08-2011, 10:43 PM
thanks for the report. we'll be up there august 26-28th. we rented a lakeside cabin in metcalf bay for the weekend. i plan on fishing non-stop 24/7 haha. anybody ever have any luck fishing for trout from the shore of metcalf bay?

diamondbear
08-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Eric , I was up there a week ago and fished on my friends pontoon boat , we were using the little dick nite spoons and rainbow needlefish and a 3 blade with half a nite crawler . Fishing deep now as the fish will leave the shore line area and head back into deeper water once the sun gets high .We will usually get our limits in about 4-5 hours now up to 16-18 in. // db

Kelster
08-10-2011, 06:29 AM
@vortec - easy parking at windy point, just east of the big-***** houses :) Lots of people park/fish there from the shoreline. You can also park at Captain Johns (?) and launch from there - no cost.

You will know if you are there if the loudmouth poaching local in the station wagon is there making all kinds of noise.
Great point early in the season, probably lots of weeds there now.
Good luck and let us know how you did.

billy b
08-10-2011, 08:55 AM
What's trout fishing like in the first 2 weeks of Sept? Is the water too warm? I would imagine you want to stick to the west half of the lake?

etaggart
08-11-2011, 06:06 AM
West end in Sept is usual, but I think we might be seeing them around lots more areas - I've been surprised how many I've caught on the edge of shallow, weedy areas in pretty warm water. Watch the limno report for the oxycline level - generally work it 15' to 5'

Kelster
08-11-2011, 08:49 AM
West end in Sept is usual, but I think we might be seeing them around lots more areas - I've been surprised how many I've caught on the edge of shallow, weedy areas in pretty warm water. Watch the limno report for the oxycline level - generally work it 15' to 5'

May be a dumb question, but what is this report and how does one read/interpret it?
I have looked at the web sites and don't really know what I am looking at and how to use it.

Thanks

etaggart
08-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey Kelster,

I had to review some other information after googling around, but basically you can interpret both a thermacline and oxycline depth. Sorry I can't sum it up here. Maybe someone smarter than be can reference something concise that can help.

Cheers,

Eric

jmytuna
08-12-2011, 12:30 AM
http://www.bbmwd.com/Lake_Info_files/Limno%208-09-11.pdf

Look for 55- 65 F degree temp and highest dissolved oxygen depth.