PDA

View Full Version : New Hoop Ner Regs

Saba Slayer
08-05-2011, 03:15 PM
The DFG commission met this week and changed the wording on the definition of a conical net to include 6 support arms as opposed to the original 4 support arm wording.
Thanks to the quick work by the DFG (Rob Allen) you'll be able to legally use your Danielson or Promar conical style nets this coming lobster season.
Jim / Saba Slayer

DockRat
08-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the info Jim.
I was reading up on the hoop net laws and it said that the Bridal ropes can only be attached to Top Ring Only.

That makes all of my nets illegal. Is that true ?
This applies to Conical Nets only not Flat ones.
I do believe the older Danielson style may be illegal too ?
I need to check.

I am screwed now because all my custom conical nets that I made by bending a upper hoop and adding 5 supports have the 3 bridal ropes attached to the lower ring and the upper ring with a tie wrap. I used thinner wire rod and don't think it is strong enough to attach the bridal to the upper ring only.

Help us out Jim.
DR

Look at the Eclispe. 5 support arms and the bridal attached to the lower ring.
2 violations ? Is that true or does it only apply to rigid conical style ?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/Richd1963/PB070073.jpg

Here is a pic of your Promar Conical with 6 arms and a Danielson 5 Arms.
Can someone add 1 support ? Or do the 6 supports have to be evenly spaced ?

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn305/UnReel_photos/PB070629.jpg

Saba Slayer
08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
DR...The new wording in the definition of the type B conical nets says that you CAN HAVE NO MORE THAN 6 RiGID SUPPORT ARMS. It doesn't say you MUST have 6 support arms.
As far as the attachment of the bridal ropes goes...My Danielson and Promar Ambush nets are rigged off the top ring but my Eclipse nets are all rigged off the bottom ring. I'm not planning on changing my rigging on the Eclipse nets. I don't think it effects the catching ability of the nets at all. I don't forsee tickets being written for that violation, but I could be wrong...I'll fight it if I get one! It's just another error and it didn't seem like it was worth the effort to have it corrected as I felt all my energy should be put into getting everyone's nets legal before the start of the season, by changing the wording of the type B nets definition. I didn't want to nit pick the Reg. to death and ruin my relationship with the DFG Asst. Chief working on the reg. change.
I hope that helps clear it up.
Good Luck
Jim / Saba Slayer

chris
08-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Thanks Jim, hopefully see you out there

exfactor
09-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Talked to my commercial lobster buddy today....apparently, only 15 percent of the report cards were returned to DFG, and so, in their eternal wisdom, they multiplied the 15 percent by the other 85 percent, and determined that hoop netters catch 60 percent OF THE TOTAL LOBSTER TAKE IN CALIFORNIA!!!!! My buddy had a little over 4 tons last season, and thought that might be a little erroneous calculation. Me thinks they will stop hooping soon, with this thought process, so try to be as descrete as you can on these boards during the season, THEY ARE WATCHING

Saba Slayer
09-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Exfactor...I wouldn't worry about posting about LEGAL activities on the internet, whether "THEY" are watching or not. The DFG's Lobster Stock Assessment is already in the works. I was in contact with the DFG employee that is doing the Assessment numbers last week. He presented his assessment a couple of weeks ago to a peer group for review and he is now reworking his numbers according to their recommendations. He should have the results out in a month or two.
Yes it's sad but true, the Report card returns for the last few years were pretty poor. 22% for 2008-2009 season and 14% for the 2009 calendar year. That leaves a lot of guess work...I talk to a lot of folks during the lobster season, both at the Hall shows and at seminars during the pre-season , from the interviews I've conducted, and various conversations I've had, my general feeling about the non-returned cards is that the majority of them were either bought and never used, or they bought a card and tried it once or twice and didn't really score so they lost interest. a common comment was "It was only a zero on the card. so how important could that be?". All those zeros and 1 or 2s could really effect the guessed at numbers (little erroneous calculation) by the DFG stat people. I also feel that the other few cards that weren't returned were due to the paranoid nature and distrust of the DFG by some fishermen ( a lot of good that is doing...talk about a theory backfiring).
The new cards are tied to the new license system which uses your DMV license to issue your lobster card. I believe DFG hopes to use this automated information at some time in the future to know if your last report card was turned in. In the future it could mean not being able to get the new card or fishing license untill the old one is turned in. They've got some bugs to work out like the fact that your card doesn't have to be turned in until the last of January but you can purchase your new card and license in December if you like.
SO...PLEASE TURN IN YOUR LOBSTER REPORT CARD...it may seem late, but it could effect any future regulation or limit changes !!!
Good Luck This Season!
Jim Saba/Slayer