PDA

View Full Version : Surf fishing spinning reel question

FishingwithDave
08-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Went surf fishing for the first time this while vacationing in Pismo. Discoverd that the surf can be pretty unforgiving on you and your gear. My reel was under water several times each time I went out and even though I lightly sprayed it down after each use, that didn't do much for what must creeped inside. it's an old Diawa A355T spinning reel that I've only used in fresh water.

Got home and tore it a part and cleaned pretty well, but something, I'm guessing a bearing, got jacked up and while works, the smoothness of reeling is now gone.

I did catch fish and found surf fishing to be challenging and fun, but I'm looking for some advice on a spinning reel that is better designed for the saltwater/surf fishing and one that is reasonably affordable. Gotta be ones out there that are better at keeping sand saltwater out when briefly dunked underwater. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Daryl
08-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I've destroyed plenty of gear fishing the surf over the years. My advice to you is to avoid any submersion of the reel. Rinse it as soon as possible and clean/oil it frequently. I'm not aware of any spinning reel that can handle surf submersion and survive. When sand gets inside and you continue to crank, it's bad news.

Which Way Out
08-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Myself I try not to use spinning reels. If that's what your gonna use then take your time and find one that is Saltwater rated. Most reels are made for fresh water and will work well for ever with only the minimum care. Saltwater rated reels will cost a bit more, but there worth it.
I am sure someone will have good advise on which brand and models to look at.

Yea you gotta watch the surf zone, it will get ya. If the slope under water is gradual you can walk past the break and get on the backside of the surf. But if your working the trenches, you'll be in over your head real quick. Heck I've been dumped twice this year alone.

Good luck and be safe.

smokehound
08-05-2011, 06:10 PM
All the more reason to shuffle your feet. Shuffling will also allow you to detect hazardous areas.

DockRat
08-06-2011, 05:43 AM
I got a Shimano Symetre 2500FJ Spinner at Fred Hall show for about $100.
Works really good and caught over 200 fish this year on it including some drag burner Bonito and Carp.
Put 15 lb Spiderwire Braid Line on it and it casts pretty far. I submerged it only once by accident http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/Zafyr_photo/gifs/smiley/gemischt_smilie_0056.gif

3/4 of the 200 fish were Mackeral. :Embarrassed:
DR

DockRat
08-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Shimano Sedona is another option for about $60.
DR

stocker
08-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Penn Slammer, Penn Spinfisher, Daiwa Black Gold are all tried and true saltwater spinners. Just my .02.