PDA

View Full Version : Asian Market in Orange County for fresh bait??

PersonalBest
08-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I was looking for a good Asian Market that may carry some fresh fish/shrimp that I can use for bait. I did like the Costa Mesa Marukai market but they seem to always be out of the fresh Mackerel/Bonita/Shrimp by the time I get to the store. They promise to get more in stock but the fresh Fish/Shrimp takes them way toooo long to get in.

I live by the cross of the 55 and 405 freeway in the OC. Does anyone know of an Asian Market that is stocked with fresh Mackerel/Bonita/Shrimp nearby?

Thanks in advance.

TheAsianGuy
08-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Wow, you live in near the central of fresh seafoods. You may have to travel upwards towards the 22, along Beach Blvd and Magnolia Ave to get those fresh (not frozen) fishes and shrimps. Plenty of seafoods and Ranch 99 market stocked to the gills with fresh macs and shrimps, from Bolsa & Magnolia to 1st & Brookhurst. My mom shops those store on a weekly basis.

PB&J's
08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
A couple of places closer to you would be off Red Hill just south of the 5 a few blocks Freshia which is on the west side of Redhill, and H-Mart which has amazing prices on produce (off topic ) but it's off Alton and Jamboree. If you want to hit up a Ranch market there is one off Jeffrey which you can see from the 5 on the south side right before the exit.

smokehound
08-04-2011, 10:57 AM
There's the Dalat Market in Garden Grove, which usually has a decent selection of LIVE invertebrates.

Then there's the 99 ranch market on euclid, near the anaheim plaza.

there are tons of smaller seafood markets as well. I believe there used to be one near brookhurst and ball, not sure if it exists anymore..

99 ranch occasionally has fresh-dead squid. Which rocks. I bought a two-pound squid, enough for two trips to the beach.

Generally, i only fish with wild-caught baits, because I have never found a market with a selection that truly suited me. I always just searched around for shore crabs, sandcrabs, mussels, and jigged up live bait.

The last time i went to dalat, they had a huge amount of different clams, oysters, and mussels. Try there!

99 ranch markets vary in selection, be prepared to find one with a crummy selection.

PersonalBest
08-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Wow, you live in near the central of fresh seafoods. get those fresh (not frozen) fishes and shrimps. Plenty of seafoods and Ranch 99 market .

Thanks for the info. Yes I am Center of Fresh Seafood but they seem to take the heads off the shrimp and bleed the bonita. Like they are preparing it for human consumption and not bait. ;) Go figure??

I should have specified a place for fresh not frozen that leaves the head on the shrimp and the bonita bloody. My bad.

PB&J's
08-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes I am Center of Fresh Seafood but they seem to take the heads off the shrimp and bleed the bonita. Like they are preparing it for human consumption and not bait. ;) Go figure??

I should have specified a place for fresh not frozen that leaves the head on the shrimp and the bonita bloody. My bad.

Korean markets will have whole shrimp. As for bloody bonita may have to call in a request to the dry dock in fullerton http://www.drydockfish.com/

PersonalBest
08-04-2011, 03:12 PM
:Big Grin:
Korean markets will have whole shrimp. As for bloody bonita may have to call in a request to the dry dock in fullerton http://www.drydockfish.com/
Thanks for the assistance.

Drydockfish is in a local farmers market at the OC Fairgrounds. They are there once a week but this may work. Also I could pickup what I need from them, win a stuffed animal for the girlfriend, watch an Alaskian pig race, eat a fried Koolaid ball (yes they have them) and take a few scream'in rides while I am at the fairgrounds. Sounds great! :Big Grin:

It is amazing how you live somewhere all your life and fish yet you still dont know "where I can get some Dam# bait"(quote from Vagas Vacation Movie Moderator)
... Keep'em coming

PersonalBest
08-04-2011, 03:17 PM
There's the Dalat Market in Garden Grove, which usually has a decent selection of LIVE invertebrates.

Thanks Smokehound I may have to burn the time/$$$ to drive to Dalat. It may be it if I do not find other options.

PB

smokehound
08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks Smokehound I may have to burn the time/$$$ to drive to Dalat. It may be it if I do not find other options.

PB Dunno if you're aiming to do some saltwater fishing, or not. (assuming you are, since you're in costa mesa)

See if they have fresh-dead mackerel, that hasn't been frozen, if you're mackerel fishing. They often have asian littleneck clams, which make a great bait for croakers/surfperch/Sargo.

evosamurai
08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
i live by knotts asian guy beach and magnolia are parallel to each other, go to takas regularly going today for frozen mac, shrimp, chovies, crawlers, bite on leave for my camping trip tomorrow am

fish-o-haulic
08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Wow, you live in near the central of fresh seafoods. You may have to travel upwards towards the 22, along Beach Blvd and Magnolia Ave to get those fresh (not frozen) fishes and shrimps. Plenty of seafoods and Ranch 99 market stocked to the gills with fresh macs and shrimps, from Bolsa & Magnolia to 1st & Brookhurst. My mom shops those store on a weekly basis.

Hey asian guy instead of hitting up the market maybe i should just take you with me instead. oh and bring some of your cooking if you used shrimp paste as an ingredient. HAHAHA

evosamurai
08-04-2011, 04:06 PM
i bought that shrimp paste, to use for cats, had no luck

SHOWTIME
08-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Ranch 99 Market should have everything you're looking for. I always get Mackerel @ Sport Chalet! ;-)

TheAsianGuy
08-04-2011, 04:18 PM
i live by knotts asian guy beach and magnolia are parallel to each other, go to takas regularly going today for frozen mac, shrimp, chovies, crawlers, bite on leave for my camping trip tomorrow am

I know Magnolia and Beach are parallel. but the road Bolsa Ave turns into 1st as it continues has all those freaking Asian markets that my mom go "ga-ga" over. Don't know why. If they have foods, I buy. If not, I move one. No one market will make me happy, unless then all exist under one single Ultra-Market roof.

Hey asian guy instead of hitting up the market maybe i should just take you with me instead. oh and bring some of your cooking if you used shrimp paste as an ingredient. HAHAHA

LOL..sure..next time you're in town, I think we should. Once we have all the fresh ingredients, I can make you some fresh stinky meals. If you don't barf from the smells, your taste bud will wake up and slap you in the back of the head :LOL:

i bought that shrimp paste, to use for cats, had no luck

Sorry to hear that. Looks like those cats up in the Silverwood is not taking on the shrimp paste. The Lake Evans cats loved it. Same goes for the Perris. Not to mention the one in the Lake Gregory. Must be the different weather patterns causing the cats to have preference of food sources, such as high protien worms?

evosamurai
08-04-2011, 04:22 PM
u should come down and fish the beach leo come to the dark side

TheAsianGuy
08-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes master. I'll join the dark side..*SLAP* *SLAP* wait a minute! I am the dark side *Darth Vader voice* Evo..I am your father! Wait wait...I am your brother..Yeah..make more sense.

sshernandez
08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I go t one on edinger and fairvew in santa ana. they always have fresh shrimp and mack and really good pice too. The owner goes fishing alot too.. Check it out bro

PersonalBest
08-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I go t one on edinger and fairvew in santa ana... Check it out bro

Cool, that is close also. Do they have shrimp with the heads on and have you seen fresh bonita there.

Thanks

PersonalBest
08-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Ranch 99 Market should have everything you're looking for. I always get Mackerel @ Sport Chalet! ;-)

Thank you. Looks like Ranch 99 is getting the most votes so far!!

Sport Chalet rules (in HB at least). I get all my sporting gear there. (paddle board, skis, poles, rods...) not the best prices but they tend to be knowleable people that actually love the sports they rep and know there stuff. I will pay extra for that and to not deal with an idiot that give me bad info with an attitude.

PersonalBest
08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
TheAsianGuy, fish-o-haulic and evosamurai,

You guys are funny as can be, yet super knowledgeable. Your answers to so many people’s questions have helped me get up to speed. Thanks for answering questions and also keeping it fun!

fish4anything
08-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Checkout the big Vietnamese/Asian market on Beach & McFadden in Westminster. Lots of live fish, etc.

PersonalBest
08-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Checkout the big Vietnamese/Asian market on Beach & McFadden in Westminster. Lots of live fish, etc.

Thanks for the post Fish4anything. I want to go Catfish fishing at the vine and needed some more bait. I will try this one and see how this is.

fishfinder
08-11-2011, 05:09 PM
any-one use any of the asian market stuff for striper bait? if so what have you tried?