PDA

View Full Version : 8/3 half day at the mid, epic day

SDDave
08-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Started out late, got up there after 6:00, didn't need any bait, the lake now provides all I need in the form of shad...
Ran right o Serrano Cove to look for boils, looked around for a while, nothing going on, so I took off to my shad honey hole, they were there, still on the small side but there were a few nicer ones mixed in, dipping shad is fun, running the boat in shallow water, getting weeds stuck in the trolling motor and all over the place.. lol
Picked up about 75 pieces and saw a fish bust on some bait off a point, so pinned 2 pieces on and picked off a small mouth, reloaded and bam... cookie cutter of the first one http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/6382140a.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/5fcfdf25.jpg
I had a place in mind to go to but never made it there, got stopped mid lake on the boils, couple guys i know where working the action, we had a good team work going until two other guys showed up.
Split off from the crowd and fish just kept popping up, didn't matter, lice lice running over the fish, ski boats, just kept smiling and catching fish, had over 30 fish for about 3.5 hours of work, Lost my KPN on a fish, I'm bummed, should have retied, tried to Horst the fish in to fast...
about 2 I called it a day, headed in craving a orange fanta, the bill changer at the ramp is still busted so I went up and got one from rose and kicked back and chatted for a while, Man still had to clean the fish, cut 7 and gave 3 away to a dad and son fishing the channel that hadn't caught any yet.
I'm doing half day striper trips and shad for bass will get better as the weeks go by, come on up for the fun and fill the ice chest. http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/e913650a.jpg

JeffO
08-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Awesome! I'm headed there this Saturday. Hoping to have similar luck :) Thx for the post!

SDDave
08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the reply, weekends are really crazy at pyramid, but if that's were you want to go, get there super early so u can get in a good spot in the line and then get out of ther before 11, the thing with the mid is there just not that many place's to get away from the lake lice like there is at Castaic.

JeffO
08-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah I know :/ plus its gonna be a really warm day which will bring out even more lice.... How are the boat inspections at Castaic? I haven't been there in a couple years.

kaneo
08-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah I know :/ plus its gonna be a really warm day which will bring out even more lice.... How are the boat inspections at Castaic? I haven't been there in a couple years.

here is no inspections at castaic YET...

Agro
08-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Did you catch the shad by yourself? Or have help? I hear doing it solo with one net is tough.

JeffO
08-04-2011, 03:37 PM
here is no inspections at castaic YET...

Castaic it is! You guys have any advice for gettin LMB's there right now?

FINSMACKDOWN
08-04-2011, 04:04 PM
KpN + Boils = a pile o Stripey!!
Nice day Dave.
Do they have boat inspections at the Mid?

SDDave
08-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Did you catch the shad by yourself? Or have help? I hear doing it solo with one net is tough. nobody else just me, it helps when the fish are pushing them up.

Castaic it is! You guys have any advice for gettin LMB's there right now? yes go to Pyramid, just leave before it gets crazy... lol

KpN + Boils = a pile o Stripey!!
Nice day Dave.
Do they have boat inspections at the Mid? thanks, none at Pyramid or Castaic yet

TopwaterTony
08-04-2011, 10:53 PM
I had a place in mind to go to but never made it there, got stopped mid lake on the boils, couple guys i know where working the action, we had a good team work going until two other guys showed up.

My brother and friend were out there and said he was fishing next to a guy that sounds like it might have been you. Hopefully they weren't the "two others that rolled up" :LOL: but I don't think so. EPIC is really what the bite sounded like. Almost, if not all, of their fish were on top water. I just wish I could get out during the week. Maybe someday I might just call in sick, cough cough!!! Good job out there.

SDDave
08-05-2011, 12:18 AM
My brother and friend were out there and said he was fishing next to a guy that sounds like it might have been you. Hopefully they weren't the "two others that rolled up" :LOL: but I don't think so. EPIC is really what the bite sounded like. Almost, if not all, of their fish were on top water. I just wish I could get out during the week. Maybe someday I might just call in sick, cough cough!!! Good job out there.
What boat were they in? I've been on Pyramid and Castaic when the whole darn lake was popping here and there with huge boils and 20 boats were all trying to run and gun to the boils, freaking nightmare, so to have five boats isn't that big of deal as long as there's some teamwork going on, it happens, I've even done it, you get to the boil and your last to get there and you slide in to far and shut it off or toss over baits that are allready out, but you have to be looking out for the other boats.
This day the whole lake was going off from the island to the front of the channel so there was a lot of room, so the guys who came late could have worked those other spots, the schools do big circles, so alot of time you really don't have to move to far, once they go down a lot of times there'll pop back up in ten minutes, so sometimes the excitement gets the best of guys.
I have a pretty fast bass boat and it can really push it, the bite was a mix of baits for me, the LC ripbaits were working after and during the boil as were the Sara spookd once I lost my kpn, I got propbly 5 fish just blind casting the LC waiting for next boil, I even dropped down some shad while waiting.
I try and get two fish going off a boil, I have rod holders on my rails and will first toss the topwater and once bit, put it in the holder and then toss out other, tw or rip...fun stuff.
I'll be back up tomorrow, I'll be passing though Castaic about 0530 if anyone wants to book a last minute ride!

JeffO
08-05-2011, 09:43 AM
I'll be back up tomorrow...

Maybe I'll see you there! I'll be riding solo on a white w/ green stripe Pro Craft.

SDDave
08-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Fished again today in the afternoon till 6 and me and another boat with two guys were getting on them pretty good even with all the traffic, got 8 fish for the last couple hours, earlier I was playing with the frog on the matts and had two nice blow ups but didn't hook any.

TopwaterTony
08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
What boat were they in?

16' Aluminum Bass Tracker

SDDave
08-05-2011, 10:57 PM
16' Aluminum Bass Tracker

Yeah never ran into a tracker that day

JeffO
08-06-2011, 04:08 AM
...earlier I was playing with the frog on the matts and had two nice blow ups but didn't hook any.

Even if you don't hook 'em, a frog blow up is still exciting. Nothin quite like it

black47
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Those smallmouth are great, tough little guys.
I need to get out with you and hook up on some of them.
Hope your well.