PDA

View Full Version : Jenks Lake Monday August 1st and 2nd

Koshaw
08-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Went up Monday night for a couple hours of fishing at Jenk's.
Had a good time up there and it was cloudy and cool. Got 5 trout (one nice sized 1.5lb which is big for up there). Helped others catch fish and had a blast. Came back down and relaxed.

The next morning, Tuesday I headed up and was the 2nd in line at 545am. Talked to Ray the manager and headed to the spot. Fishing was WFO. Rainbow Colored Salmon Peach PB was the ticket that day. I got like 9 in the first hour or two. Again I taught other folks how to catch. Took a couple hours before I was able to rig another rod, and I mostly ended up just using one pole. Even took a break for a bit and left the rods out of the water to chill and walk around some and talk to people.

Ended up catching 22-30 fish I lost track after 22 XD. They kept hitting the bait as it was sinking, cast after cast. Got one that was about 2lbs. I forgot my camera :P I left about 130pm or so and got back to the motel and chilled.

Weapons Used: Shimano TwinPower 1000, Bob Barr Shikari 8' custom rod, Izor XXX line 2-4lb, Seaguar Abrazx 4lb fluorocarbon leader (2'-3'), Size 18 trebles. 1/4oz sliding sinker and black swivel.

All together a great day!

Viejo
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Sounds like you caught your self a mess of fish. Kudos on teaching others how to catch fish. Share how you remove the treble hooks from the trout without damaging them when you release them. I am assuming that since you are using power bait, they were not lip hooked. Are you using a tool like a Ketchum release or
pliers or ? Thanks.

Koshaw
08-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Sounds like you caught your self a mess of fish. Kudos on teaching others how to catch fish. Share how you remove the treble hooks from the trout without damaging them when you release them. I am assuming that since you are using power bait, they were not lip hooked. Are you using a tool like a Ketchum release or
pliers or ? Thanks.

Actually it was interesting. At least five of my fish were lip hooked! O_o. If I decide to keep the fish I get my hook back with a hemostat. If they are lip hooked I gently remove the hook and put them back into the water asap if I am not keeping them. If they are small, deep hooked and/or if I am catching and releasing I just keep them in the water and cut the line and let them go. Not worth it to kill and waste the fish (that will die that day or in a week or so) over a hook costing a few cents. I also explain this to people I help =) and its good fishing etiquette.

billy b
08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Nice job

Just a small question ... not familar with "Rainbow Salmon Peach" ... was it Rainbow Salmon EGG pb? ... or did you mix Rainbow with Salmon Peach (may have to try that one)? ... or is there another new one I have to buy?
(sigh)

Koshaw
08-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Ya it was Rainbow Salmon EGG pb ^^'. The regular salmon peach works too. Some days Garlic (light green color) works well too.

billy b
08-04-2011, 01:44 PM
I've had good luck with the same bait ... also S Peach ... and Rainbow garlice ... but not love on the garlic

Thanks for the help

phishin phool
08-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Thats a bummer that you actually release those fish back like that. A weak little stocker trout will survive about 2-3 hrs. with a treble hook stuck in its throat, if that long. that is killing and wasting fish Koshaw. Those fish should be counted towards a limit cuz they are as good as dead and somebody else could have had the chance to catch em. And telling people its ok is even worse.

Trout Daddy
08-05-2011, 09:53 PM
If you are gonna release use a barbless hook or artificials. Im not a fish scientist but leaveing a hook in a fish cant be good for them.

Koshaw
08-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Huh I was told the hooks would usually pass O_o. Ill start using barbless =). Maybe leaving the hooks in is ok for the larger wild trout.

Trout Daddy
08-05-2011, 10:59 PM
If you are using a bait n wait technique the fish has the bait swallowed when u set the hook. If u wanna release use lures or artificials with barbless hooks or crimp the barbs. Power Bait, crawlers, or any other basic n wait method will usually end in a gut hook situation.

phishin phool
08-06-2011, 01:56 PM
That is why I fish only with Artificials now like power worms and jigs, I can catch all the fish I want and release them as long as they are lip hooked. Even with worms they will swallow it if you dont set the hook quick. I think bait and wait is only for people wanting to keep their fish. I have heard that a single barbed or especially barbless hook can pass thru a trouts throat and end up in its stomach where the fish's stomach acid will deteriorate it enough for the fish to survive, but like you TD I'm no scientist sooo..........not sure. Barbless is the best way for catch and release no doubt.

phishin phool
08-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Treble hooks do not pass, to many hooks to catch on the flesh. If a fish is caught on power bait it should not be released. Thats just my opinion, I dont wanna be "Mr. tell everybody what to do" but it is all our responsibility to be good fishermen and women. Peace.
Huh I was told the hooks would usually pass O_o. Ill start using barbless =). Maybe leaving the hooks in is ok for the larger wild trout.

Koshaw
08-06-2011, 02:16 PM
OK barbless it is =)

whittierte
08-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I know you mean well. Sometimes you catch your limit so fast it's like what do I do now? For me if they are not biting on lures, with bait I try a longer shank single barbless hook. If that still doesn't stop the trout from inhaling the bait (some days they just go crazy) I stop fishing. I don't like killing fish needlessly or providing fish for others. I will make some suggestions, even give them some bait and gear, but I will not catch extra trout and give them away. That's just me.

mytyt
08-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Use jigs lures or flies if your going to CR. Even power worms will get down to deep to not kill the fish. If you need fish for food stop at the first 5 you catch. I've been there and saw the light. Now just use the flyrod and if I get skunked then next time I'll work a little harder. No way can you CR with bait.

phishin phool
08-07-2011, 08:48 PM
If ya want to get em with bait and have a chance to release em, I would suggest inflated "garlic" mini nightcrawlers sold at most bait shops, the single hook can be pinched to make it barbless and can be passed fairly easy if swallowed.