PDA

View Full Version : Moonlight fishing aug 13th. Need help

fishfinder
08-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Going to go to this event. will be my first time fishing at night on this lake in a boat. or any lake in california for that matter. Fished castac many times during the day time. Can any-one provide me with any tips as how to go about fishing at night here. I will be targeting stripers only. Also who else is going to be there? How many boats usually go out for this event?

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
fish like U would during the day....nothing really different re: methods other than you will do better will some submersible green lights to engergize the plankton and therefore attract baitfish therefore attracting target feesh !

A fishing Light is not 100 a must but U'll do better with them

Good luck...hope this helps

Gary

fishfinder
08-03-2011, 05:42 PM
fish like U would during the day....nothing really different re: methods other than you will do better will some submersible green lights to engergize the plankton and therefore attract baitfish therefore attracting target feesh !

A fishing Light is not 100 a must but U'll do better with them

Good luck...hope this helps

Gary

i have a regular round fishing light that floats on the water, i have never used before. but as long as i have your attention i wanted to ask you what kpn topwater lure color and size would you reccomend? I would like to have the whole set, but I cant spend that much without my wife killing me. Thanks for the other info.

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-03-2011, 05:55 PM
i have a regular round fishing light that floats on the water, i have never used before. but as long as i have your attention i wanted to ask you what kpn topwater lure color and size would you reccomend? I would like to have the whole set, but I cant spend that much without my wife killing me. Thanks for the other info.

The white floating light will work use them ...

Submersible green lights are better but use what U got instead of nothing !

Mini shad in Castaic color (SHAD)

Keep track of the hook shanks and their condition as they will bend on many occasions from the torque of a head shaking Mr Stripey…

Change the hooks after a bend as hooks do not take to bending and straightening out much…after U bend a hook back into place it is really weakened by the process…

Bring some extra #6 owner stinger hooks for replacement..

Careful on going to a larger hook as it will kill your action..

Once the average grade of fish gets bigger use the larger model topwater in the same color..that one will sport #1 owner stinger hooks to manage the real beasties….

But note, the mini topwater will handle huge fish if you play them right

(see photo attached)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/1kpntoad3.jpg

That’s about it….go get ‘em cowboy ! : )

Gary

fish-o-haulic
08-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Hey gary would anything imitating trout work, i have tons of shad imitating lures so the shad thing wouldnt be a problem. oh but would a rattle trap work.

Reellady46
08-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Hey gary would anything imitating trout work, i have tons of shad imitating lures so the shad thing wouldnt be a problem. oh but would a rattle trap work.
Looking forward to this event...See you out there!

fishinforbait714
08-04-2011, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=Reellady46;568355]Looking forward to this event...See you out there![/QUOTE

Sweeeet!!! Looking forward to fishing with you again Reellady. My wife is going to be stoked you are going!! See you there.

fishfinder
08-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Think i am going to get there before 7 to get in line. my son always likes it when we do a little bbq before we fish.

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-05-2011, 03:33 PM

Anything is possible people do catch them from time to time on a trout bait w/o a recent trout stocking but the real question is whether or not it’s worth the time to throw a big bait when no trout are present.

For the better part this season the stripers never keyed on the trout in any solid degree at all even when they stocked the trout so to answer your question, I’d say leave the trout patterns at home…

The stripers clearly are not keyed on a trout at the present time

It’s always and certainly possible to pull a lucky card but if it were me, I’d focus my attack otherwise….

Nightime could hold a lucky card though, you never know….try it if you feel it…the only true way to know is to try….

Rattle traps are always a good bet…..

Try all sorts of stuff…don’t be afraid of bait either…the point is to catch fish..

Good luck..

Gary

fish-o-haulic
08-05-2011, 03:39 PM
cool thanks gary. what do you recomend for shore fishing, if you dont mind me asking

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-05-2011, 04:32 PM
cool thanks gary. what do you recomend for shore fishing, if you dont mind me asking

A hook ! and maybe some line ! : )

LMAO ! J/K !

Ha ha ha ha : )

I’d suggest a bait line with a fresh sardine chunk on one pole
(sometimes crawlers work too-never know what kind of bite till ya try ‘em)
I like to meatball the crawler with the 2 long tag ends hanging out…others will swear by threading them (which I do sometimes) but the meatball methods is most productive for me personally

and periodically throw ur trap and topwater lure on another pole…

Last but not least
Get away from the noise, u’ll do better without boat noise and people yelling and screaming !

(people at the bouy line on a boat should consider this more often ! noise at night is not a stripers friend)

Hopefully this moonlight bite will turn on, the ones so far this year have not been good but at least theres some sporatic daytime feesh showing up...

again never know till you just get out there on the water and try..

good luck
Gary

fish-o-haulic
08-05-2011, 10:25 PM
man thanks gary. havent fished castaic in a good while. most of my success came from the lagoon for trout and lmb.

Hitts0n
08-07-2011, 06:14 PM
I'll be there next saturday night !! I will try fresh mack also !!
I got hit on fresj mack within 3 minutes after I threw my line out.I didnt believe it.
I thought I kicked my pole but about time I realized it was a fish,it was gone !!:Sad:
Good luck out there folks !!

fishfinder
08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
thanks for all the insight gary. But now i am just stoked to do my first moonlight fishing at castaic. got me a floating light from sportchalet, and gonna use some glow sticks for underwater lights too. see you all at the lake saturday. any-one know if we can fish the jetski area from boats?

fishinforbait714
08-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Was fishing out there over the weekend. Reellady46 caught a nice Striper out there. Nice catch Chica!! THIS GIRL CAN FISH. Single too guys!! :ROFL: They are biting. Did you see the Striper Dave caught? What a fricken monster! See you out there Saturday night folks.. : )

FB

Reellady46
08-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Was fishing out there over the weekend. Reellady46 caught a nice Striper out there. Nice catch Chica!! THIS GIRL CAN FISH. Single too guys!! :ROFL: They are biting. Did you see the Striper Dave caught? What a fricken monster! See you out there Saturday night folks.. : )

FB

First time I have ever caught one. Had a great time with your familia. :Smile: Oh and btw I do not need your help on the dating scene dude! :ROFL: So edit that crap. See you next weekend. Have a great week!

RL

fishfinder
08-09-2011, 05:53 PM
anybody have an idea of how many boats usually show up for this event?

fishfinder
08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
only 3 more days... <*))))>{

Reellady46
08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
WOO HOO!! How old is your son? I have a little girl that is 6.

fishfinder
08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
WOO HOO!! How old is your son? I have a little girl that is 6.

my son is 16, and my daughter wants to go with too now. she's 17.

Reellady46
08-10-2011, 09:38 PM
my son is 16, and my daughter wants to go with too now. she's 17.

I have a 28 boy, 23 boy, 21 girl 18 boy 15 boy and 6 year old daughter

fishfinder
08-10-2011, 10:06 PM
I have a 28 boy, 23 boy, 21 girl 18 boy 15 boy and 6 year old daughter

Wow, how did you ever find time to take an intrest in fishing. for me 2 is enough.

Reellady46
08-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Wow, how did you ever find time to take an intrest in fishing. for me 2 is enough.
All of my kids love to fish. My little girl is so good at fishing..She baits her hook and reels them in. I have an album of her on my profile fishing. She takes after mom..LOL SHE IS HOOKED!!

fishfinder
08-14-2011, 02:27 PM
didnt make it out. lost a tire on the trailer on the way to the lake.