PDA

View Full Version : Punching set-up?

Ifishtoolittle
08-03-2011, 05:18 PM
What do you guys think is a solid punching set-up? As in lure/ line needs. I have a Phenix inshore assassin 8-25lb and a Curado 200D with 55lb spectra so that's covered. But, in terms of sinkers, hooks, and lures what is best? I've never tried this kind of fishing before and am looking to give a go since my local lake is like a pile of slop right now. Oh, and is straight spectra better or should I put a fluoro leader? Gratz.

-IF2L

tacklejunkie
08-03-2011, 05:44 PM
I want some tungsten punch skirt weights and a skirt making kit :Razz:
Can I borrow your CC for a minute? I'll show you which ones to get haha. j/k.

I like to go to Tacklewarehouse when I find a new technique of fishing I like...
and spend about $50 in different brand same type baits and a small plano box for them all. Lets me see which ones I like better. After all, it is subjective!

Then they ship it overnight free.

Unless I'm on my way to DVL then I'll go to Last Chance.
Almost everything you could want in there but Booyah Chatterbaits and they have those at TW.

I think you might need those pegging things too?

I hate carrying around all those little accessories but man sometimes they sure make a difference.

Curren77
08-03-2011, 10:16 PM
What kind of slop do you want to punch through? How deep? How is the frog bite?

Curren77
08-03-2011, 10:17 PM
In a boat?

Ifishtoolittle
08-04-2011, 01:40 PM
I want some tungsten punch skirt weights and a skirt making kit :Razz:
Can I borrow your CC for a minute? I'll show you which ones to get haha. j/k.

I like to go to Tacklewarehouse when I find a new technique of fishing I like...
and spend about $50 in different brand same type baits and a small plano box for them all. Lets me see which ones I like better. After all, it is subjective!

Then they ship it overnight free.

Unless I'm on my way to DVL then I'll go to Last Chance.
Almost everything you could want in there but Booyah Chatterbaits and they have those at TW.

I think you might need those pegging things too?

I hate carrying around all those little accessories but man sometimes they sure make a difference.

I'm going to get some stuff from TW, but I just don't know what yet.

What kind of slop do you want to punch through? How deep? How is the frog bite?

I think it's just sparse weeds, but they are all over the lake. As far as the depth goes maybe 10-12' max. And, the frog bite? Well, I'm not sure if the lake has frogs nor have I ever seen any success from frogs over there so I don't know.

In a boat?

From shore is the plan.

DarkShadow
08-04-2011, 01:44 PM
"Best" is all relative.

You'll need tungsten sinkers heavy enough to 'punch' through the vegetation, so be prepared to be using anywhere from 1/2 ounce to 1.5 ounce sinkers, depending on the salad.

Tend to use creature baits.

Hooks? Heavy duty flipping hooks work great.

Ifishtoolittle
08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
"Best" is all relative.

You'll need tungsten sinkers heavy enough to 'punch' through the vegetation, so be prepared to be using anywhere from 1/2 ounce to 1.5 ounce sinkers, depending on the salad.

Tend to use creature baits.

Hooks? Heavy duty flipping hooks work great.

Any specifics on this stuff?

So far this is what I'm thinking about getting as I am a budget guy.

Gambler 3/0 KO, 3.75" lake fork hyperfreak, and 1oz tungsten or lead slider. One more thing since no one has given me an answer on this. Would a fluoro leader be a good idea for punching? I asking because have white spectra on my Curado D. Gratz.

-IF2L

Curren77
08-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Ifishtoolittle, Got some good stuff for you, I have written at least five response but every time I try to post it, I get a prompt that says I have to log back in. Am I too slow?? Dang, frustrating. wanna rap with you! Newbie to this stuff.

BassinChef
08-05-2011, 02:49 AM
http://www.basstackledepot.com/search.aspx?find=punch

Hope this helps a little

wackyrigged
08-06-2011, 03:18 PM
The frog bite is always good even if you never see frogs around. I never really punch but a robo craw and tungsten weights seem like a good bet.