PDA

View Full Version : Perris bass tuesday

skiper
08-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Been reading how hot the fishing has been at Perris and decided to give it a try. I've only been there a few times, the last being about ten years ago. I didn't get his name, but want to thank the gentleman in the white Champion who was rigging his baits in the parking lot prior to launching. He showed me on the map the location of the huge boulders on the left side of the island that are just deep enough to ruin a prop or even a lower end. Why aren't they marked with a bouy???

I didn't really know where to go or what to throw. I started out with top water and buzz baits while it was early and cloudy...even a couple minutes of a light shower...no love. I eventually caught a few small bass in the grass at various places around the island on a fluke and a few more on a shallow running crank. At 11'ish I moved down towards the big tower that is by the dam and caught a couple of nicer bass in deeper water...2 to 3 lb range. They were in about 20 feet of water.

I left at about 2 pm...didn't kill them but had better luck than I been having at Castaic and Piru lately. Now that I've retired and can go week days I intend to fish Perris more often.

TheAsianGuy
08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Nice to hear you got your hands wet with the basses again. Don't just hunt for basses. There are plenty of everything in there, especially panfishes. Why not wet one line for the panfishes, and the other one for the basses? If you're there early enough, hunt the cats/carps along the southern and eastern shoreline. Panfishes will love to see your bait line at 5 feet depth. If you don't mind losing a few lures, hunt for them in the tall tules/grasses. Plenty of large basses hunt the shallow water there. I spotted cats and basses roamed the shallow incrop basins as well. Watch for those deer ticks I presume; large black-reddish ticks. They are all over the cattails and tips of the tule's leaves early morning hours, late in the day, and anywhere there's shades. Not sure how they got onto those tules in the middle of the water (possibly by wind).

Sublime-Steve
08-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Hey skiper. Yea there's boulders over there alright they have bouy's around them so you should b ok :-) Keep goin to perris man i guarantee you will get that pig you have been waiting for :-)

skiper
08-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the info Asian Guy...red ear and blue gill are my favorite eating fish though I seldom fish for them. Steve, regarding the boulders...there is a single bouy quite a ways out from the island, but the other huge boulders closer to the island aren't marked. The uninformed like me wouldn't expect them that far away from the bouy.

tagg27
08-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Skiper - way to go on the lake. big panfish in the lake. Great lake, caught my pb lmb at Perris. As for the boulders, I have a 16' tracker w/an outboard and all is fine. Going tomorrow and will post when I get back.