PDA

View Full Version : Need help with daiwa megaforce 100

LGHT
08-03-2011, 11:41 AM
I decided to pick up a cheap baitcasting reel (paid $43 new) to learn how to use them and a bit confused on a few features. I found some video on the "twitchin bar" and figured that out, but not sure what the "Megaforce" selection does or is for?? The manual says it has the widest range and can be switched on or off, but doesn't have anything on what it does or why it's there??

Also there is a spool tension control cap, but not sure what to do with that or how that works? Should I just tighten it up all the way?

Nessie Hunter
08-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Lets start with the Spool tension cap:
when tightened this puts side pressure on the spool shaft, to the point of almost stopping it from spinning.........

The Megaforce is the lighter Magnetic BRAKES. Adjusting this changes position of magnets & spool end and allows you to fine tune your casting..

The more brakes the less free the spool spins...
As you get used to Thumbing the spool when casting the less brakes you will probably use, May never change setting on Spool Tension Cap.. Or just to start.
A lot depends on Line Weight and Weight of bait used.... Heavier the weight the more Brakes, lighter the weight, the less brakes...

There are tutorials on line that teach you how to learn a baitcaster...

LGHT
08-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Ok thanks for the tips. Why would one ever need to tight the spool at all? Is this for certain types of casting?? I would think you want the spool to simply free spin giving you the option to cast a mile if you need to and if you don't wouldn't you just stop it from spinning with your thumb?

I'll have to see if I can find something on you-tube that explains the scenerios a bit more.

rodless5
08-06-2011, 11:21 PM
When you start to use the real you will understand why you wouldn't want the spool to spin so free. I still birds nest my line once in awhile.

vanillagurilla
08-07-2011, 12:40 AM
when you tie your lure or weight on the line you want it to fall slowly when in free spool, you adjust this by using the spool tension knob. as far as the megaforce, start at the highest setting, probly 10. use that for a while untill your comfortable and start slowly turning the brake down.

tacklejunkie
08-08-2011, 08:57 AM
The spool brake controls over-run near the end of the cast.
The magnetic brake controls over-run near the beginning of the cast.

Remember this when you go out to try it and you should be good.
Enjoy, I like those reels.

LGHT
08-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Well I thought I had everything set up correctly, but it didn't go so well. I left the dial at 10 and adjusted the tension knob so it was fairly tight, but still allowed the spool to spin. I had a small jig head on a grub and tossed it out a few times, but couldn't get it to go more than 10' so I loosened up the tension know a little and through it pretty hard and I guess I didn't stop the spool fast enough because it gave me a big old birds nest! We only had a few hours on the boat so I just put it down and went back to the spinning rod for the rest of the trip. I'll have to hit the local pond after work one day this week and just toss it a few hundred times until I get the hang of it.

DarkShadow
08-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Why would one ever need to tight the spool at all...

... because it gave me a big old birds nest!

Fishing is a learning experience.

Practice makes perfect.