PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Lake Pyramid? Headed there 8/6

JeffO
08-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Hey guys! Brand new bass fisherman to FNN.... Took the boat out to Lake Piru last weekend only to get skunked. Tried everything in my bag of tricks.... Normally July is my best month there, but this year has been unlike any other. Gonna head to Lake Pyramid this weekend and was curious if anybody has had any luck there lately catchin smallies or largies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Natethegreat
08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
typically at this time of year i have had luck drop shotting a blue gill colored robo worm typically behind the weed line .
The bass tend to stay in a little deeper in depth as far as the water goes since it is pretty hot.

JeffO
08-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks, yeah that's normally my go-to approach during the summers. I heard there's been a decent frog bite at Pyramid, too.

Stoked to get back out there.

farmacist
08-03-2011, 02:47 PM
chuck your bait on shore and work that little piece of water between the weedline and shoreline. Haven't been this year but have done well w/ this technique in the past. We used to throw blades and buzzbaits, I'm sure frogs would kill it!

DarkShadow
08-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Senkos and dropshots off points.

JeffO
08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks, guys! Gonna try frogs first thing then switch over to senkos and drop shot as the topwater bait dies. DarkShadow, do you fish Senkos weightless Texas rigged or wacky rigged?

DarkShadow
08-03-2011, 03:42 PM
DarkShadow, do you fish Senkos weightless Texas rigged or wacky rigged?

Wacky!! That's the hot ticket lately it seems.

You can use weedless wacky rigged hooks if the vegetation becomes a problem.

JeffO
08-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Awesome. I've always thrown them weightless texas rigged so I'm looking forward to trying 'em wacky :)

Do you guys tend to have better luck on the east or west side of the lake?

fishfinder
08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
personally i wouldn't go to pyramid on the weekend. lake lice everywhere, at least at castaic the quarintine them. check with the castaic guys. i think you would have a better time there.

JeffO
08-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Yeah I know, they can get so annoying. How have the boat inspections been at Castaic? Last I heard they were ridiculously strict....