PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Striper!!

skunked again
08-03-2011, 07:26 AM

DVL, my new favorite lake!:Fishing Hole:
In search of Mr Striper. My friend was sick today so I went on my own. Arrived at lake at the lake at 0545 and surprised to see the line so short. I was probably 15-20th in line at the check in. A little on the warm side, mid 90s or more. It was a perfectly glass water day. I basically had the lake to myself. Water temp was 77-79. I saw bait breaking the top of the water at the boat ramp. I could not tell what they were but assummed they were large shad. I casted BBZ shad and large spoons with no luck. I spent most of the day soaking anchovies and throwing BBZ 4" shad.

8 total bites
6 striper landed
2 lost at boatside
1 missed strike

The first and biggest of the day....weighed in at 7lbs, 28 inches.

Second about a 20 incher.

Third fish, a 22 inch chunky monkey somehow fought as hard or harder than the 28 incher.

This one caught on a 4" BBZ fast sink casting to shad.

The last, another nice schoolie

I have really had a hard time learning to catch striper. They are everywhere in the lake and not always interested to bite. Since November, I have gone about 20 + times to DVL and can count 20 caught on my fingers and toes, largest being 8 lbs. I have yet to catch a limit of 10. More DD to come :Twisted:Hope you enjoy the pics.:LOL:

The filets went straight into the smoker. As far as I am concerned, the best way to cook them!

I season with a light coat of salt, pepper and garlic (Tony Chachere's seasoning mix). Put the thickest boneless filet pieces in the smoker at 230 degrees. Wait till the hickory chips start heavily smoking then put your fish in. Take them out in about 20-30 mins when the internal meat temp hits 145 degrees. The meat will be moist with an absolutely killer lightly seasoned smoke flavor. Serve with an easy make rice pilaf (Near East) OR jambalaya mix (Zatarain's). Lightly saute asparagus or fresh green beens in salt and butter and I guarantee you will pass out from the deliciousness!:Food::Dancing Banana:

Fish be with you always.

TheAsianGuy
08-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Reading this while eating breakfast, you already made me drool for dinner.

striperkingclassic1
08-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Congratulations on the nice day. Sounds like you are on them now. DVL takes some time to learn the habits of the multi-species in the lake. But, once you learn the lake, most people find it to be one of the best fishing lakes in California. With your skills, you definitely should be in the Striper King Classic. Thanks again for the detailed report, great stuff with the smoked striper!

skunked again
08-03-2011, 11:48 AM
That's funny, I was salivating while writing this.

KingShad
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
PM sent on fish taco receipe.

Sublime-Steve
08-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Looks like your tuning in on them bad boys. i wanna get out there with ya soon. lemme know a couple days ahead of time if your goin out :-) I want you to troll that BBZ1 its been staring @ me waaaay to long, I got a bait caster and im gettin used to the way it work's I can chuck that sebile magic swimmer pretty darn far :-)

skunked again
08-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Looks like your tuning in on them bad boys. i wanna get out there with ya soon. lemme know a couple days ahead of time if your goin out :-) I want you to troll that BBZ1 its been staring @ me waaaay to long, I got a bait caster and im gettin used to the way it work's I can chuck that sebile magic swimmer pretty darn far :-)

After I come back from vacation this mo, we'll give it a go. Have you caught anything with the sebile magic swimmer yet?

Sublime-Steve
08-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Sounds like a plan, actually yesterday i was throwin the magic swimmer @ perris and got a 2lber, got him on the baitcaster 2 ( new 2 me) and i was so happy lol

skunked again
08-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Congrats! Way to break in your new baitcaster! I was wondering if those magic swimmers worked. The nice thing is that they are weedless.