PDA

View Full Version : Catching First Halibut on Plastic!!

keada714
08-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Hello Guys,

So I have finally caught my first halibut on plastics!! I have only used plastic a hand full of time and really didn't get the feel for it until today. Me and my girlfriend decided it was a perfect day to hit the long beach jetty for some fishing. Well I picked up some 3" big hammer swim bait and got there around 2. When I got there another fisherman was catching halibut with live bait. This got me very excited knowing they are out there.

I threw out a sexy smelt while my gf was using the smelt. It was dead for a good hour before I landed a 16" halibut with a slow retrieve.. It was dead after that so we went to grab lunch. Returned around 6 and the sun is coming down so we threw out some more swim bait hoping to get lucky. After 30 or so cast I got hit with a 19" halibut using a jerk retrieve. My next cast also got me a hit. This time I can tell it was a larger halibut but it came loose. A few minutes later my gf gets hit using the same jerking technique but that one also cut loose. She wasn't happy about getting skunk again but she did pretty good for her second time fishing! It sure does feel good to be fishing again!!

Can anyone give us some tips or method of using these swim bait (colors or techniques) or any other lure suggestions for our next trip. I would love for her to catch something next time around.

Mark

DockRat
08-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Good job on the plastics. :Thumbs Up:

I threw out a sexy smelt at my gf http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u5/Cobbershot/Emoticons/icon_fart3m.gif

DR :Shocked:

Kidfish
08-03-2011, 07:51 AM
good report on the rubber way to go

Psycho_fish'r
08-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Try dropshotting pearl colored zoom flukes or throwing LC 110 in metallic sardine.

bones
08-03-2011, 10:51 AM
First of all......Congrats and welcome to the game of "Fooled Ya Mr Halibut" !!
There is something so very exciting about fooling any fish on artificials. It's addicting to say the least and you will have a hard time going back to the bait and wait thing for sure. Working artificials will keep you on your toes and on the move which is far more productive in the long run because more often than not........You have to find where they are hanging out first. Halibut can be anywhere and the hunt is what it is all about IMHO.
A 3" BH is perfect because it can be fished in many different ways. It can be fished in all water columns and at various speeds. The only problem is that a BH only has one upward pointing hook. Halibut typically swim up and snatch their bait but wait until the settle back to the bottom to chew it down completely. Try putting on some scent like smelly jelly and waiting just another second to swing. Halibut will hold onto a plastic for longer than you think. Of course the pancakes will have a hard time swallowing but when you get bit by a larger model......you will know it for sure!
Of course a hardbait like the LuckyCraft 110 series has three sharp treble hooks so it's a no brainer (No swing needed) but on the dropshot the secret is to wait at least 3 to 5 seconds for the chew before swinging.

Just check out bsp's artical......

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Intro-So-you-want-to-catch-halibut-from-the-surf...

Good luck with your hunt.......Seems like you already caught a "Keeper" with a girlfriend who likes to fish artificials too.
Pssssst....Let her catch a few so she stays interested:ROFL:

---------<><

keada714
08-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies and comments guys! If it wasn't for work I would have been out there with the lady trying to land her a fish. I have never used the drop shot rig on the big hammer or any plastic. What we used was pretty much the big hammer with a 3/8oz jig head with what I believe is a 2/0 hook and try to work them at the bottom of the sand as much as we can. But I will definitely give the drop shot rig a go next time i'm out there. I have also read about the LC but cannot commit to spending 20 bucks for a lure nor do I have a bait casting setup at the moment. Money is very tight at the moment since i'm a struggling post college grad. Well thanks again for the suggestions!

n1ckxlam
08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
There is something so very exciting about fooling any fish on artificials. It's addicting to say the least and you will have a hard time going back to the bait and wait thing for sure. Working artificials will keep you on your toes and on the move which is far more productive in the long run because more often than not........You have to find where they are hanging out first. Halibut can be anywhere and the hunt is what it is all about IMHO.
A 3" BH is perfect because it can be fished in many different ways. It can be fished in all water columns and at various speeds. The only problem is that a BH only has one upward pointing hook. Halibut typically swim up and snatch their bait but wait until the settle back to the bottom to chew it down completely. Try putting on some scent like smelly jelly and waiting just another second to swing. Halibut will hold onto a plastic for longer than you think. Of course the pancakes will have a hard time swallowing but when you get bit by a larger model......you will know it for sure!
Of course a hardbait like the LuckyCraft 110 series has three sharp treble hooks so it's a no brainer (No swing needed) but on the dropshot the secret is to wait at least 3 to 5 seconds for the chew before swinging.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Intro-So-you-want-to-catch-halibut-from-the-surf...

Good luck with your hunt.......Seems like you already caught a "Keeper" with a girlfriend who likes to fish artificials too.

---------<><

well put Mike, you hit the nail on the head.
Keada714, fishin plastics can be a very exciting and engaging way to fish. Do some lookin around and $ willing, try out baits that you think resemble baitfish or that you think would work. Fish hard till you find an arsenal that gives you confidence, and you will find that you will fish better/harder when that confidence is with you on the water.

good luck, and great report
Nick

fishshep
08-03-2011, 09:02 PM

Good Informative reply by Bones !!!
May I add for your consideration, the Gulp Minnow product
for the drop shot method also,

http://www.fishusa.com/Berkley-Gulp-3-and-4-Minnow_p.html

Most of the Locals fishin LBC or Cherry beach area throw this set up

with good results. Caught some Halibut there on the "Mack Krocodile" too

---------<><

May I add for your consideration, the Gulp Minnow product
for the drop shot method also,

http://www.fishusa.com/Berkley-Gulp-3-and-4-Minnow_p.html

Most of the Locals fishin LBC or Cherry beach area throw this set up

with good results. Caught some Halibut there on the "Mack Krocodile" too

Newfishsmell
08-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Wtg .... always fun catching'em on the plastics.