PDA

View Full Version : Where to get swimbaits?!?

keada714
08-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Hello Guys,

Do you guys know where I could find some killer deals on swimbaits?? I recently got into using plastic and I feel like I need to start a collection of them!! I mostly use 3" big hammer and would like to see where you guys are purchasing them since my local shop isn't cheap... Also what colors do you guys recommend for fishing saltwater?? Looking forward to hear from you guys!

Mark

iLLest
08-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Sav-0n tackle in Santa Fe Springs has a huge variety of everything....and I mean everything. They sell the swimbaits individually or in packets. They're in boxes and you can check them out, pick the color you want and head out in a matter of minutes. Each swimbait varies in price due to its size. Generally, the bigger the more expensive. But its now too bad...a 3" swimbait will probably run you like .45 cents or so... this is great since you can pick out different color patterns and experiment with each. Give it a shot, and remember try to imitate baitfish colors, they usually do the trick.

Assuming your coming from El Monte, catch the 605 South and take the Telegraph exit. Turn left onto telegraph and then a right on Orr and Day road and there it is to your right.

Good luck!

keada714
08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
thanks for the reply illest! I'll keep that in mind next time. I went to sport chalet and picked up 4 packs of 6 3" swim bait. They had a special buy 3 and get the next one free. So that is 24 swim bait for around 12 with taxes.

farmacist
08-04-2011, 11:43 AM
make 'em yourself. superglue three or five swimmies upside down in an aluminum baking pan. fill with two part resin, once it hardens, take your new mold out of the pan. pull out the swimmies if they're stuck and pour away. Mix up any colors u like and reuse old torn baits by re-melting.

CastMan
08-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Farmacist is there a site that explains making plastics in detail that you would recommend? I'd love to get in to this myself!

farmacist
08-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Check out tackleunderground.com There is a lot of different ways of going about it. I did mine a long time ago but it was fairly simple. I used a clear resin plus a hardening catalyst and voila! Not sure you save too much $$, but you're in control and make whatever color combo and softness you like

CastMan
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the reply Farmacist. Tell me do you buy all your materials from this website? I'd say I'm more curious about adding a bit of a color tweak to some of my favorite colors such as adding a bit of flake to some or an orange belly to others; stuff like that. Not to worried about saving tons of money just thought it might be cool to try. Thanks again bud!

farmacist
08-09-2011, 11:08 AM
check out the barlows website, and you can just get different kinds (size/color) glitter at michaels. Pretty sure I've just used tackleunderground for info. Good Luck!

CastMan
08-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Barlows website? Is there a link to that on that page? I don't remember seeing it.

CastMan
08-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Never mind Farmacist I found it. Thank you for your help bud!

boxl0bster
08-10-2011, 12:02 AM
richards tackle on walnut and hellman. prices are good and i think theyre a little cheaper than sav on. plus its a lot closer to you.