PDA

View Full Version : Fisher's Choice crickets?

fishmounter
08-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Since crickets are such a great bait at some of our SoCal lakes, I wonder if those" Fisher's Choice" crickets they have at Bass Pro Shops would work as good as live crickets. We fish crickets on tiny jigs and even after they drown and are dead, they still will catch fish. Anyone try these?

old pudd fisher
08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I know a guy that has used them, and he said they work pretty good with jigs.

smokehound
08-02-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd stick with the live crickets, because they're juicy and fresh, while the fisherman's choice crickets are dehydrated..

I'm sure they would still work. I've used dehydrated crickets with success. I just prefer fresh bait.

old pudd fisher
08-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Good point smoke, plus the live ones are cheaper to buy.

TheAsianGuy
08-03-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't think they're just dried. They're actually seasoned, or infused with some odd scent. There was a bit of salt particles on the crickets' body as well. I'm not trying to eat one of these things out unless I know what they put on the crickets first. I'm curious to know what they season the crickets with, beside the fine salt.

boxl0bster
08-03-2011, 07:01 PM
they worked for roland martin....lmao

smokehound
08-03-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't think they're just dried. They're actually seasoned, or infused with some odd scent. There was a bit of salt particles on the crickets' body as well. I'm not trying to eat one of these things out unless I know what they put on the crickets first. I'm curious to know what they season the crickets with, beside the fine salt.Why would you be eating a cricket out in the first place? :LOL:

TheAsianGuy
08-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Why would you be eating a cricket out in the first place? :LOL:

Wonder what fishes eat? And what we feed the fish as we eat them? Well, why not savor what they eat to understand..be one with the fishes :LOL: well..don't get into fights with the mafias and end up with the fishes.

they worked for roland martin....lmao

And what does the name "Roland Martin" means to me? Absolutely freakintively nothing.

boxl0bster
08-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Wonder what fishes eat? And what we feed the fish as we eat them? Well, why not savor what they eat to understand..be one with the fishes :LOL: well..don't get into fights with the mafias and end up with the fishes.

And what does the name "Roland Martin" means to me? Absolutely freakintively nothing.

are you kidding me? i'm not even talking to you, it was just a joke, no need to get your panties in a knot.

tree
08-11-2011, 06:57 AM
are you kidding me? i'm not even talking to you, it was just a joke, no need to get your panties in a knot.

LOL you're the one overreacting. who the hell is Roland Martin? elaborate?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Roland+Martin

edit: as far as crickets go, I'd say use the live stuff, since its always better when it wiggles on its own.

vortec_cruiser
08-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Last month I purchased a bottle of those seasoned crickets at BPS. Took them to Perris for the bluegill and red ears. I did not even get a single bite. It was a good thing I also took some live crickets.

Ifishtoolittle
08-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Last month I purchased a bottle of those seasoned crickets at BPS. Took them to Perris for the bluegill and red ears. I did not even get a single bite. It was a good thing I also took some live crickets.

Well crickets are most effective when ALIVE! Other than that unless the bastids are drenched in scent I would skip dead ones.

Socal Bassman
08-19-2011, 01:00 AM
I always buy live crickets. They're cheaper and if I have any left over, I can always feed them to my leopard gecko.

smokehound
08-19-2011, 02:56 PM
One time I brought mackerel to a lake, and that's all the damn bluegill would touch. Tried live baby crayfish, mealworms, crickets, and waxworms, and nada. But they were all over the mackerel o_O

fishmounter
08-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Ifishtoolittle- I don't know if you read my start of this post, but when we fish live crickets at Lake Perris, much of the time they are dead because they drown so quickly, but they still work very good. I hardly ever change to a fresh live cricket when my bait dies unless it is mangled by a fish. Dead crickets still catch fish. Now if I am trout fishing in a stream, no bait is better than a live kicking cricket on a light wire hook, floating down stream!

smokehound
08-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Ifishtoolittle- I don't know if you read my start of this post, but when we fish live crickets at Lake Perris, much of the time they are dead because they drown so quickly, but they still work very good. I hardly ever change to a fresh live cricket when my bait dies unless it is mangled by a fish. Dead crickets still catch fish. Now if I am trout fishing in a stream, no bait is better than a live kicking cricket on a light wire hook, floating down stream!It's because the dead crickets are still fresh. Whenever I smell these dried crickets, I get a hint of spoilage.. Fresh-dead will always be better than preserved. Here's an interesting fact: Arachnids can sometimes survive underwater for up to a week. In australia, lots of pool-owners are sent to the hospital after playing with a "drowned" funnelweb spider fished out of the pool, only to have it suddenly spring back to life and attack.

I dont think this is possible with insects, though, because they have an entirely different breathing system, and unlike spiders, cannot stop breathing.

NFCD I
08-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Since crickets are such a great bait at some of our SoCal lakes, I wonder if those" Fisher's Choice" crickets they have at Bass Pro Shops would work as good as live crickets. We fish crickets on tiny jigs and even after they drown and are dead, they still will catch fish. Anyone try these?

I bought a container of them about a year ago. Pulled them out a month ago when we ran out of live ones at Perris. To be honest, we couldn't tell the difference between live and " Fisher's Choice ". I ordered another container of them for a back up. When available, I'm going with the live ones, but they're good to have in the boat.