PDA

View Full Version : Quick Malibu Yak SWAT Sesh - 7/30

midgettosser1
08-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Was looking forward to spending some time in the kelp on Saturday, but the wind had other ideas in mind.
Wind swell and white caps outside the kelp made me change my plans from the usual drifting and swimbait fishing to bait and waiting it. With no drift sock the wind would have been blowing me around too fast to get any good swimbait action.
I stopped and got some frozen squid and had the yak out on the water around 8:30am (late start).
Timed my launch between the 2-3 foot waves and had a nice dry launch. Tied up on the inside edge of the kelp and casted out some squid into my usual spot.
Within minutes I had a pretty good bite and pulled in a chunky rockfish. While reeling it in, a similar sized rockfish was chasing it in. Perfect, cuz I was looking for some taco meat, and it seemed like the fish were active. But that changed when I took a look inside its mouth and saw a mouthful of little black wormlike parasites. I'm pretty picky about the fish I eat... so back in the water it went.
Cast out some new squid and another few minutes pass before my next nibble. Set the hook, and I feel something pulling in a rather odd motion. Got it up to the yak and it was what looked to be a solid legal (if it was in season) lobster. Lifted it out of the water and it broke off.... literally (see pic).
Cast out again, and another nibble and quick tugging motion. Figured it was another lobster, but it didn't stick.
Kept casting in the same area and ended up with one more chunky (wormy) rockfish, and two calicos (not really worth pics).
Called it quits after about an hour and a half, when the wind (and swells) started kicking hard enough to keep breaking me off the kelp I was attached to, quickly sending me off my spot and into the surfzone.
Wished I coulda stayed out longer, but it was still a productive trip.
With the heavy wind swell it was hard to time my beach landing, and I ended up getting destroyed in the surf. With my gear stowed in the bow of my yak, it didnt take long before the nose took a dive while riding a wave in, tossing me out of the yak and flipping it over. Managed to make it out with my sunglasses and hat intact. Too bad no one was on the beach to watch that. Had to be hilarious.

iLLest
08-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Nice lil session bro.
I'm alittle fishy about eating fish with little critters in their mouth as well...makes me think they're full of funky stuff in them. But who knows, maybe they're just around the mouth but doesnt affect the meat part? Hopefully someone can put some input on this.

I'm not tooooo familiar with the yak game, when you say "attached to the kelp" do you actually tie yourself to the kelp to stay in a certain zone? if so, thats pretty crazy, never thought about that.

good stuff brotha, lets hit up Pea Soup again :Big Grin:

Which Way Out
08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Dang Mike that's the one big reason I never got a yak. Almost broke my neck in a shore break once and never want to get that close again.
Otherwise good quick day fishing.

Wingnut
08-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Good to see you getting out there Mike. :Big Grin: Sounds like a really productive day.
I almost lost it during the landing on my first ever yak trip. I went side ways and had to plant the paddle and dig deep to get myself straight. :LOL:
We should all get together and plan a S.W.A.T. yak armada session. :Twisted:

Back in town tonight for a day... really tempted to hit the surf before my meetings tomorrow. :Wink:

jerryG
08-02-2011, 04:29 AM
Sounds like a nice little session Mike.. I've had more than a few yak trips end with a swim myself. As long as you have everything stowed it's all good. We should definitely plan a SWAT Armada Trip.. SWAT special ops. Thanks for the report..

JerryG

bones
08-02-2011, 05:21 AM
Great to see ya out on the torpedo/submarine Mike. I wouldn't have laughed when you flipped.....at least not until I saw your gear was ok...LOL
I hear the flatties are in the zone at escondido at high tide.....go get em!

Thanks for the debriefing soldier!

PS

I wouldn't worry about the parasites.....They die when you cook them:ROFL:

DockRat
08-02-2011, 05:47 AM
I was thinking about the Great Whites last night on Shark week that were bumping into the Kayaker's.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z18/tomgschmidt/Itsakeeper_spinner3_080908.jpg

Which Way Out
08-02-2011, 08:09 AM
I was thinking about the Great Whites last night on Shark week that were bumping into the Kayaker's.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z18/tomgschmidt/Itsakeeper_spinner3_080908.jpg

No kidding DR. The sharks are looking at em like there pool toys.

midgettosser1
08-02-2011, 09:54 AM
To borrow from Wingnuts epic ability to reply to everyone in one post, here goes......

Nice lil session bro.
...But who knows, maybe they're just around the mouth but doesnt affect the meat part?
I'm not tooooo familiar with the yak game, when you say "attached to the kelp" do you actually tie yourself to the kelp to stay in a certain zone?
good stuff brotha, lets hit up Pea Soup again :Big Grin:

I'd imagine the meat is probably fine. But things like that are still enough to put me off. Haha.
Yah, normally I will drop my swimbait down in the middle of dense kelp until I get a bite. Then I will tie up to the kelp with a rope and fish that spot until the bite dies.... then move on to another spot. In the case of this report, I tied up to the inner edge of the kelp, closest to shore, and casted towards structure.

I'm down to hit up pea soup again. Headed to alaska for 2 weeks this Saturday. As long as im not fished out (which is generally not possible) I'm down to go once I get back.

Dang Mike that's the one big reason I never got a yak. Almost broke my neck in a shore break once and never want to get that close again.
Otherwise good quick day fishing.

Yah this was my first bail on the yak. Nothing like being tossed around in the surf and seeing your yak making a b-line for your head. Was your accident on a kayak or surfing?

Good to see you getting out there Mike. :Big Grin: Sounds like a really productive day.
I almost lost it during the landing on my first ever yak trip. I went side ways and had to plant the paddle and dig deep to get myself straight. :LOL:
We should all get together and plan a S.W.A.T. yak armada session. :Twisted:

Back in town tonight for a day... really tempted to hit the surf before my meetings tomorrow. :Wink:

Thanks Art. I'm definitely down for a yak session. If people don't mind making the trek up to my area, I've got a great spot.
Let us know if the temptation got a hold of you and you made it out to the surf.

Sounds like a nice little session Mike.. I've had more than a few yak trips end with a swim myself. As long as you have everything stowed it's all good. We should definitely plan a SWAT Armada Trip.. SWAT special ops. Thanks for the report..

JerryG

Yah, I definitely keep everything stowed... even if there is hardly a wave in sight. Not worth risking it. I agree on the SWAT armada trip.

Great to see ya out on the torpedo/submarine Mike. I wouldn't have laughed when you flipped.....at least not until I saw your gear was ok...LOL
I hear the flatties are in the zone at escondido at high tide.....go get em!

Thanks for the debriefing soldier!

PS

I wouldn't worry about the parasites.....They die when you cook them:ROFL:

Haha, even if stuff broke. After the initial upset, I'd still have to laugh at myself. Sadly, I find I laugh at myself quite often.
It's been a long time buddy, when we gonna hit the surf?

There's definitely been a couple of times I've felt a little sketched out. But generally I stay deep in the keep, so I tend to feel somewhat safe. The sketchiest thing I've done is float tube in open water up in SB. Don't think I'd ever do that again.

keepemlo
08-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Ok boys don't tempt me into gettin a kayak I kinda been lookin ...I'm running outta room in my garage!!!!!!god forbid my wife looks at all the receipts !,!!!!!

Which Way Out
08-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Yah this was my first bail on the yak. Nothing like being tossed around in the surf and seeing your yak making a b-line for your head. Was your accident on a kayak or surfing?

Yea Mike it was one of the few times I tried to surf. My name should of been Charlie.
More than likely I looked like the guy in your avatar, OUCH

fishshep
08-02-2011, 07:49 PM
:LOL::LOL: that landing was funny !!! :LOL::LOL:

Reading another report one time about goin

in with shore wave landing problems,kayaker said,

he handled that by slipping off into the water

to grab then, the rear tip carry handle , and let the wave

and yak pull him in safe !!! :Wink: :Smile:

kichigai1
08-02-2011, 09:28 PM
just an FYI lobster are NEVER in season on a hook and line.

midgettosser1
08-03-2011, 09:38 AM
just an FYI lobster are NEVER in season on a hook and line.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually debating on getting a hoop net to throw on that spot next season. Gotta find a creative way to pull the line in though. Can't sit on top of that spot without getting smashed into the rocks.

flyngby
08-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Mike,

Nice to see you we able to fit 2 sessions into 1!!

Time in the yak and the surf!

Look forward to the day when we are able to align our schedules and get out with the gang!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/BlueShad.jpg