PDA

View Full Version : All over the eastern slope

Yellow Dog
08-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Just got back from our annual trip to the sierras. First day fly fished lower convict creek for a couple of small browns. Float tubed Lundy for a skunk. Everyone that was using bait or trolling did very well at the west end. Fished Upper Lee Vinning with bait and got a limit of nice rainbows. Fished Rush creek for a couple of small browns on the fly. Fished Lower Lee Vinning for two nice rainbows on the fly. Fished Rush creek again and caught about 15 fish. All less then 10" browns. Fished Lower Mcgee creek for 4 nice rainbows on grasshopper flies. Fished Upper Lee Vinning with salmon eggs for at least 10 nice rainbows. Fished Upper Owens for 1 nice rainbow and alot of small browns on the fly. Came home on 8/1/11. The rivers are just now starting to heat up with flows starting to slow. Best dry flies were tan caddis, yellow stimulators, and grasshoppers. Best wet were prince nymphs, bead head grey scuds, and zebra midges. The slower steams (owens, lower mcgee) fished best between 9am-2pm. Start with a hopper dropper set up and switch to two nymphs and an indicator. The owens and mcgee are really marshy so be prepared for the muck. Upper Lee Vinning is recieving for pretty heavy stocking above the pond. Great place to stock up on meat fish or take a youngster for lots of action. YD

JAG107
08-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Nice trip! Good job mixing it up, that must have been a blast.

ZipperWurm
08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
nice job! those are all the places i like to fish...cept i use panther martins because i dont know how to fly fish. gonna be up there this weekend to get some of the action! :Beer Toast: