PDA

View Full Version : Fish Gear help please

DaFish
08-01-2011, 12:20 PM
My friend wanted to go out of Dana Point for 1/2 day.

I have a low budget.

Is there Pole/reel set-up that I can buy at Walmart or anywhere cheap for $50.00
or so and get buy for 3 to 4 hours?

Also, what other tackle should I get like hooks, line size and weights ?

Thank you for any help,

Dafish - Mostly I fish for trout.

Which Way Out
08-01-2011, 12:37 PM
I would think that if your only gonna go this one time, then use a rental rod at the landing. They will hook you up with hooks and sinkers to make your trip work. Just give em a call and see what they offer. You should be good to go. Then see what the locals are using on the boat for next time.

DaFish
08-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Thank you soo much that sounds like a good idea.

CraigH
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Renting a rod and reel is a good idea. Most of the landings rent 20 lb conventional and / or spinning gear for half-day boats. If you have good 12-20 lb bass gear you can also get by using that for a half day instead of renting. Depending on the current you could be fishing 2 or 3 oz sinkers so if you bring our own make sure the rod can handle that much weight. The landings have small tackle shops so if you bring your own rod & reel, when you go in to pay for the boat tell them you need hooks and sinkers and they will set you up.

lifewith714
08-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Were you able to locate rod reels for ocean fishing? I tend to use my catfishing combos for oceans. I usually used monofilament line and change them out before switching from ocean to freshwater. 20lb test line usually works well. You just need to learn to control the drag and its a fun fight either way. Hooks and lures really depends on what you're going for. PM me I do have some rods and reels I no longer use. I upgraded most of my equipment.

oakboy
08-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I will be going out of Dana tomorrow in the pm. I went yesterday on a 3/4 and never used my conventional. Only used my baitcaster with 10# and threw zoom flukes and almostgot jack pot. I did upgrade to15# for tomorrow. 10# is probably too light. Good luck tomorrow I think we will need it, the bite has slowed the last few days.

KP

reptile dude007
08-01-2011, 09:59 PM
When I go I bring 4 rods, My ML Ugly stick with 8 to 10# mono spinning reel for the smaller fish. 2 Bait and wait set ups with 20# mono and 40 #Mono on Bait Casters for rock fish, and the last rod I have set up for throwing Iorns, Plastics and hard baits with 15# test on eather a Spinning reel or bait casting. All of this cost me about $200. A couple of the reels I eather won or was given for joining some thing. and the rest I bought at yard sales/sales at tackle shops.
I only use 1 or 2 at a time btw

DaFish
08-02-2011, 04:29 AM
thank you all.

Also, what do you where this time of year?

I know it can get cold,
what type of shoes, ect?

thanks again!

oakboy
08-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Tshirt, shorts, a sweatshirt when it gets windy. Get some deck boots so your feet don't get wet. West marine in the harbor has them.

KP

CraigH
08-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Bring a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. I agree with T shirt, shorts, and sweatshirt. Just remember if its a cool day it will be colder once you get out of the harbor. The decks are painted with non-skid paint, but between people dropping baits that get stepped on and fish slime they will get slippery. Deckhands usually hose down the deck when the boat is moving between spots so deck boots work great to keep your feet dry and keep you from slipping. If you don't have them, wear shoes that will help grip the deck and that you don't mind getting wet. A lot of people wear old running/tennis/reebok/whatever they are called nowdays.

oakboy
08-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Bring a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen.

This stuff for sure.

KP

DaFish
08-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Thank you all again this all has been really helpful.

oakboy
08-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Hope your day went better than mine. I only got 1 short sculpin.

KP