PDA

View Full Version : Toons with shade

casting call
08-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Has anyone used a boat umbrella or bimini top on their pontoon boat? Its been a while since Ive taken mine out because of the heat and the sun. Ive seen the umbrellas that you mount behind your seat, but I would think that they would just rip off the back of the seat after a few times out.

spainfish
08-01-2011, 10:25 AM
I've pondered that idea myself..Yea Ive gotten what I felt was a mini 'heat stroke' a few times being on the water,on a hot windless day, in my pontoon myself.The last time I felt it,I had to beach my boat and sit in shade for a few minutes,right after dumping a few gallons of Irvine Lake on to my dizzy head! lol
A bimini top would be sick!
I know one version of the Sea Eagle brand of boats has a bimini top of some sort,no reason a resourceful,creative person with a Dave Scadden couldnt come up with one..?

casting call
08-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I havent gotten dizzy from the sun, but my knees would hurt soooo much when I would wear shorts. I still have the farmers tan on my legs from being out in the sun from over 2 months ago.
I saw this http://www.pro-techt.com/ but they are pretty pricey, unless someone has tried them and have nothing but positive things to say about them, I cant justify spending that much money for it.

HBAR
08-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Can't think of the name of who makes these things but what if you were to use one of those folding chair shade things that could strap on to the back of the frame and to the front?

TheAsianGuy
08-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I modified the toon with a 5.5 feet beach umbrella with mine. Was at Lake Perris, and had quite a few onlookers smiling at the idea. Pretty easy to hook up. Use the wheel retaining slot at the back of the seat, drill the hole through the beach umbrella, slide a D ring through the drilled hole, and instant shade. If you don't have a wheel retaining hole welded onto the frame already, modify a 1/2" heavy PVC pipe about 6 inches long for stability, and use multiple large U clamps to attach the PVC directly onto the frame near the seat. Very relaxing in the shade. Just watch for those crazy sudden air currents.

casting call
08-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Hbar, I thought about that. Well, at least some sort of cover secured by some sort of light framework from four corners, but the frame would get in the way if you hooked onto a fish, not that I hook onto many fish anyway. :)

Asianguy, how does that hold up while youre moving? Was it easy enough to stow? I clamped a PVC pipe and dropped a regular umbrella into it to see how it would be, and I cant see that being stable. I suppose if I drilled more than one hole in the umbrella and pipe (on different axes), that should take care of stability.

TheAsianGuy
08-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Asianguy, how does that hold up while youre moving? Was it easy enough to stow? I clamped a PVC pipe and dropped a regular umbrella into it to see how it would be, and I cant see that being stable. I suppose if I drilled more than one hole in the umbrella and pipe (on different axes), that should take care of stability.[/QUOTE]

Moving with the umbrella expanded was easy. No problem, even with a slight wind condition. I just let my 55-lbs thrust motor take on the wind fighting. When I have to row in the wind, I pull the umbrella down. Same goes when I have to stand up on the toon to cast. The umbrella was extremely easy to stow. During transport back and forth from the car, I simply toss the umbrella to the side, next to one of the oars. Don't even have to strap it down. Fit perfectly in the slot without falling out during transporting.

You have to jury-rig your PVC pipe for stability. Each pontoon frame is slightly different. Create a cross metal holder PVC pipe holder from the seat's frame to the back frame for stability, using a stainless steel metal bars. My best suggestion is to use the local welder, and put a 1 inch pipe segment onto the frame. Best investment of $30 you can make. Don't get a cover that hinder your front and side casting capability. The beach umbrella mount in the back is a perfect location for toon.

evosamurai
08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
that asian guy is pretty clever when it comes to mods