PDA

View Full Version : 03 Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner ?'s

Sublime-Steve
07-31-2011, 09:59 PM
My truck lag's when I go from stopped to green light or when I'm just trying to gas it. Sometimes it jumps when I floor it like 5 times before it start's going good, ANY input would be helpful

Steve

Karyn
07-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Quick reply- have you looked at the injectors? They might be clogged- or the CPU- it might need to be formatted... a bad sensor...a bad fuel filter, google on line and see of others are having the same issues- might be a recall??? or it could even be bad gas (no pun intended). Toyota's like Mobil premium- we have 3 Toyotas. - fill your tank up at half tank, never empty because sediment in the bottoms can clog fuel filter. IS it throwing a code?

old pudd fisher
07-31-2011, 10:54 PM
We have a 99 Tacoma 4x4 with over 1,000 mi's on it and had the same prob. I changed the fuel filter and all was good. It just sounds like it needs a basic tune up.

want2fishmore
07-31-2011, 11:42 PM
SeaFoam that sucker:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-seafoam-your-engine-the-right-way-complete-diy-t126583.html

Did my car a few months ago: 1990 Prelude with 110,000mi. EXACTLY followed the instructions. 2 extra mi. per gallon. Running strong.

Sublime-Steve
08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Well ive taken it to the dealer 3 times and the say the " cant replicate the prob" but it only does it some times. im think karyn has the right idea but i was looking for a exact prob, i guess im going to have to do 1 @ a time.. Ive had the fuel injectors cleaned , the throttle body cleaned, but i dont think i can afford to use premium fuel all the time i have a long drive to work everyday :-(, anyone know a good place to take it?

fish-o-haulic
08-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I know a good place but it depends on how far away you live from the av

Criss
08-01-2011, 11:54 AM
I know a good place but it depends on how far away you live from the av

he said its for a truck, not a skateboard.

casting call
08-01-2011, 03:20 PM

haha... thats funny.
But before you go out and spend your money and time, check your fuel injectors. Get an ohm meter and do as in this video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8PdrT0MCU

WARRIORMIKE
08-01-2011, 03:27 PM
If I remember your in the Inland Empire?? I take my car to this place off of the 215 fwy and Mt Vernon, in colton. Great prices and dude does not jerk you at all. Ask for Jay, hes the owner. Name of the place is One Stop Auto right behind he 76 gas station. Corner of Mt Vernon and Meadow lane.

reservoir dog
08-01-2011, 03:28 PM
I'd start with replacing the fuel filter. Have you tried hooking up one of those code scanners?

fish-o-haulic
08-01-2011, 03:43 PM

haha a smart *** but seriously this guy does good work. not everything in av sucks just 99% of everything

phishin phool
08-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I'd say fuel filter too bro.

Mr.DieHard
08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
i have a 01' prerunner v6 with the same symptoms, eventually it gave me a code which ended up being tps (throtle positioning sensor) replaced it then bam problem solved. it drives like a champ now.

Crawler
08-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Lots of things can cause what you are describing. Is the check engine light on? Do you have a K&N filter on it? 3.4L V6? Does it do it everytime or is it intermittent? Does it idle rough even when its not acting up?

Injectors are pretty solid on these motors. Not many problems with them. Usually no "cleaning" is neccesary. They usually either work or they dont. The fuel filters are considered a lifetime part by Toyota. Although I have replaced several at the customers request, I have yet to see one of these things act up due to a fuel filter problem, and I work on them every day.

old pudd fisher
08-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't mean to jack your thread Steve and I hope you get your truck fixed easy, but Crawler asked about using a K&N filter on it, I think thats an air filter he is talking about. If so I hear that they add more horse power to the cars motor...Is that true ?

Troutoholic
08-01-2011, 09:49 PM
A k&n air filter uses oil to trap dirt etc, thus the oil tends to concentrate on the mass airflow sensor sending the wrong information to the computer. Take off the mass airflow sensor and spray a little carb cleaner on the sensor to clean it off if it is dirty. Try visiting http://tacomaworld.com (http://tacomaworld.com/)

Sublime-Steve
08-02-2011, 01:07 AM
wow thanks guys you rock.. i pm'd a few of you, Today i tried to go @ a light and it just jumped for like 5 seconds and finally it started going, its embarrassing n sh*t looks like idk how to drive

Crawler
08-02-2011, 08:12 AM
A k&n air filter uses oil to trap dirt etc, thus the oil tends to concentrate on the mass airflow sensor sending the wrong information to the computer. Take off the mass airflow sensor and spray a little carb cleaner on the sensor to clean it off if it is dirty. Try visiting http://tacomaworld.com (http://tacomaworld.com/)

This.

We get these trucks in all the time with over oiled K&N air filters. The oil gets by the filter and gets on the element in the mass air flow sensor. This causes the MAFS to give bad info to the ECU. The ECU uses this info to adjust the air/fuel mixture. Makes for all kinds of runability problems. Its a simple fix though. Just dont try to clean the element with anything like a q-tip or brush. They are delicate and they are expensive! They sell MAF cleaner but we use brake cleaner followed quickly by compressed air. Ive cleaned dozens of these things. Almost always on 3.4L V6's.

bassgrabber1
08-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Steve it sounds like a TPS or a fuel filter fo sho....bring it by my house an we will fix it...easy stuff. Oh yeah you are coming over today anyway for our Perris Thursday session...talk to you then.

DockRat
08-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Goggle Toyota Pre Runner Message Boards Fuel Problem

Better to get on a Toyota message board than fishing boards.
I'm sure it is a common problem.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0de869

DR

seahonk
08-06-2011, 03:38 AM
fill your tank up at half tank, never empty because sediment in the bottoms can clog fuel filter I have been wrenching on auto's for over 20 years ,and i cant stand when people think when they run out of gas, All the dirt enters the fuel system :mad:,So not true ,On all automobiles and trucks the fuel tank pick up is on the bottom of the gas tank so weather empty or full it will pick up anything that is on the bottom of the tank full or empty ,just saying :Wink:

Mr.DieHard
08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
I also have a K&N on mine, but i just wash it off when ever it looks like it needs it. no oil = no Mass Airflow Sensor issues.

Karyn
08-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I have been wrenching on auto's for over 20 years ,and i cant stand when people think when they run out of gas, All the dirt enters the fuel system :mad:,So not true ,On all automobiles and trucks the fuel tank pick up is on the bottom of the gas tank so weather empty or full it will pick up anything that is on the bottom of the tank full or empty ,just saying :Wink:

Seahonk, Respectfully, I disagree...When it comes to my autos- I have two rules: 1) Never go below 1/3 of a tank and 2) Never fill up when there is a truck putting gas in the gas station tanks. I learned these rules when I had my 1965 VW. Also, I try to fill up at the same gas station so I am not getting contaminates. I too have a K&N, and I shake it out every time I go off roading to get all the dirt/dust out. Everyone has their own ideas and thoughts and I know what works for my ride and my other 8 autos. Respectfully.

Crawler
08-08-2011, 08:41 AM
The old "ran her dry and sucked up crud into the fuel system" is a carburated engine problem from the days of old. At least in the case of fuel injected Toyotas (all I can speak for with certainty) it just doesnt happen. You can run your EFI toyotas out of gas as much as you want people. It wont clog your injectors or fuel filter. ;-)

Mr.DieHard
08-13-2011, 09:45 PM
did you ever figure out what the problem was?