PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at surf fishing

stressD
07-30-2011, 06:10 PM
I finally took a ride to a local beach to try surf fishing for the first time. I arrived a little after 7am and started throwing Carolina rigged gulp sandworm. About 10 min in l hooked my first catch from the surf. A yellow fin croaked around 10".
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=32067&d=1312076857

Then I dug up some sand crabs and used it for bait rest of the morning for 3 more yfc with the largest measuring around 13". I managed to take only one picture of the first fish. Gulp juice leaked all inside my tackle bag and didn't want to take my phone out of the zip bag and risk getting gulp stink on it. It was fun but walking on sand is tiring, especially when you're out of shape like me.

cjmedina
07-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Why to go out and get them...

lovefofish
07-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Thats awsome man, way to go:Big Grin:

smokehound
07-31-2011, 02:14 AM
I like to grab sidewinder crabs and toss those in the surf. They usually murder.

DockRat
07-31-2011, 06:00 AM
WTG in the surf outing.
When your hooking those Yellow Fin Croakers that often times is telling you that you are casting too far out.
Corbina and Perch 10' to 50' out.

I like to grab sidewinder crabs and toss those in the surf. They usually murder.

Bill Vaurney told me he likes to use a can on a string with bait dropped down in the rocks to catch them.
Smaller is better, quarter size ?
DR

jerr-dog
07-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Hey nice going omn the YFC! Just caught my first two the other day good going.

stressD
07-31-2011, 07:22 PM
thanks for the positive replies, surf fishing was better than expected.

WTG in the surf outing.
When your hooking those Yellow Fin Croakers that often times is telling you that you are casting too far out.
Corbina and Perch 10' to 50' out.

thanks for the tip. I thought I had to cast out as far I could but I know better for next time. I did wonder why I wasn't hooking any perch, I do now.

CPT. Kirk
07-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Great job StressD I have been wanting to try the surf Im going to have to get out there.

Ifishtoolittle
07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Nice work on the YFCs. Oh and that out of shape thing, well, go surf fishing more! That is one type of fishing that will make one more fit!

stressD
08-02-2011, 09:27 PM
fishing and exercising at the same time, good stuff.

stressD
08-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Great job StressD I have been wanting to try the surf Im going to have to get out there.

you really should try it. all you need is one of your lighter action spinning gear, size 4 to 6 hooks, and tackle for carolina rigging. you don't even need to prepare any bait, just dig up some sand crabs on the spot and it works fine. might not mean much but i really do recommend that you give it a go.