PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek Lake July 24-28

Jameslol
07-30-2011, 04:28 PM
My family went on our family vaction to Rock Creek Lake last week and I have to say it was a blast. We fished for 3 days and had some luck. Here is a summary of our trip.

Day 1 July 25th: Woke up at 4:30 am. Got to the west side of the lake shortly after 5am. No luck! I used power bait, Thomas Bouyant lures etc. Around 8:00am I went to the opposite of the lake. Someone left a case of nightcrawlers so I baited up and within a few seconds of casting I had a nice hit. Went back to camp for some breakfast and family time. My wife and I went that afternoon at 4:00 and we to the south side of the last where the streams runs into the lake. Caught nothing! On our way back we parked in the single parking spot to fish some more. Manage to catch a bigger trout from a bouyant lure (blue and silver).

Day 2: Wife and I woke up early. Began fishing at 6:00am at the north side of the lake. Caught nothing. Went back to camp at 9:00am. Not even a bite. After lunch we were going to go to June Loop, but the stocking truck was in our way stocking the stream. They eventually went to the lake so we followed. From the boating dock we went to the left and found a nice spot perfect for my dogs and for us to fish. There we caught our limit. We used salmon eggs, and bouyant lures. The thomas bouyant lures were off the charts around 3:00, especially the red cyclone. That was my fallback lure the entire trip. I have to say no one around us were catching anything. Walking back everyone was wanting to know what we were using. so we told them.

Day 3: Wife went back to our spot and caught her limit using pink power bait, rolling it in glitter and then applying power bait smell to it. No one around her was catching anything.

I hiked up to Ruby Lake with my brother and two dogs. I packed the bare minium to fish with: 3 lures. Once again, first cast with the Red cyclone had a hit. I was really surprised when I caught what looked to be a bull trout. It was olive with pink spots, maybe 5 inches long. There I just caught/released two baby bull trouts.

Day 4: Wife and I went back to our same spot earlier and had a competition. She won 5-3. She also caught our biggest trout. a 13 inch rainbow.

Ill post pictures, but currently at work atm.

seal
07-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Though Bull trout were extinct in Norther California? But maybe I'm wrong.

Natural Lefty
07-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Same comment as Seal. I am pretty sure those were Brook Trout at Ruby Lake, although the pink spots sounds unusual. In fact, I fished Ruby Lake many years ago and caught some skinny 8-9 inch Brook Trout. They looked like they didn't have enough to eat, and they definitely were Brook Trout.

At least you caught fish pretty much wherever you went and had a good time. That qualifies as a successful vacation.

JAG107
07-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the post! You were probably better off staying at Rock Creek, June Lake Loop was kinda dead this weekend. I think those were brook trout you caught for sure. Lots of little ones up in those hike in lakes. Next time, try the mosquito flats trailhead to the little lakes valley ( a little up the road from rock creek). LOADS of little brookies, browns and wild rainbows up there that will eat just about any shiny thing you throw in.

sierraslam
08-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Ruby Lake Trail head is out of Mosquito Flats. Just take the Mono Pass fork and you're there. Golden heaven lies over Mono Pass.

JAG107
08-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks Sierraslam! Will have to try that when I get a chance.

teejay
08-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the report -looking forward to the pictures. I was up at Ruby last year and all I caught was brookies -nothing very large either.