PDA

View Full Version : McLeod Lake Cutthroats

Thylacine0113
07-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Fished McLeod around noon today using a fly and bubble combo. A bunch of fish were rising on the West side of the lake, some barely sipped the surface and others were jumping out of the water. Caught four fish total. Biggest was about 12 inches. They weren't very picky about the pattern/color but size seemed to matter. A Parachute adams pattern worked and so did a mosquito pattern. I was kind of expecting them to have brighter colors and a more dramatic "cut" on their throats'....but they were still pretty.

Crawler
07-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Nice! I have only fished McCloud once and it was tuff. No sign of fish, no bites, only a couple other fisherman and no action for them either. Tough lake to fish for sure.

ZipperWurm
07-31-2011, 04:35 PM
very pretty fish...how's the hike there? i've never been...

Thylacine0113
07-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Hike is really easy...maybe 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile one way. A float tube or at least waders are ideal...the lake stays shallow for a while and then drops off.

Thylacine0113
07-31-2011, 06:56 PM
This was the 2nd time I've fished it. Got skunked the first...but I've been fishing all of the lakes and creek out of Coldwater campground so I came prepared figuring they'd be going after similar flies at the same time of day. Also, the times I've hiked up there in the past have been so windy, the wind just whips over the crest and right on to the lake. It was perfect and glassy yesterday, despite the looming T-storms. I got lucky.

teejay
08-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I fished there two years ago for the first time and was skunked also. I fished there last year just before a thunder storm and did really well. What a coincidence.

Trout-Slayer77
08-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Good job Jen !! keep up the reports