PDA

View Full Version : Oxnard / 7.29.11 / WSB D.O.A

PegLegg
07-29-2011, 07:25 PM
What's up fellas,

Another day out here in the Oxnard area and it throws me a little surprise.

Woke up around 6:30am and picked up a buddy to hit the beach. Toes were wet again around 7:00am.
As we are approaching the surf zone we see quite a few scavenger seagulls circling somethin right above the tidal mark. I say " Clavin..is that a big ***** fish or am I seein things???" He takes the lead and gives me the thumbs up....yep...big ***** fish.....

I get closer and see a beyond legal White Sea Bass, fresh as can be other than a set of missing eyes from the Gulls.
A sea lion was patroling the inner waters of the surf, I'm wondering if he chased this WSB up onto shore...?? Still not sure. No visible wounds and or illnesses aparent.
Sooo tempted to fillet and take home for dinner but just couldn't get myself to be okay with the Cause of Death.
Didn't tape it out bud buddy says...and who knows why he knows this.....?? Says each of his feet are 13" making his two steps around 26" heal too toe. Based off an eyball assumption I believe this WSB to have been about 39" long! Wish I had hooked up with it!

Anyhow, we were back to fishin pretty quick and my Paps showed up @ the other end of the beach tryin to put the skunk on us.

Well, I'm refusing to wear the Skunk cologne these days so I wiped em both clean by bringin in 5-6 toad BSP's. Between 12" and 14"s each. Foul hooked a shovelnose and popped my LC off him right in front of me...was just easier that way:Rolls Eyes:

So all in all I gave the company the skunk...come on guys...its gettin stinky in my truck.

Hit the Jetty for a bit, North side (thanks Bones for the advice) but to no avail. Gotta work on my rock/jetty game. Fished the beach back with only one slam and no land. Tide peaked @ 10:somethin am and we called it quits.

Here's a pic of the beached WSB and one of the smaller BSP.

Take care fellas.
Sincerely,
Tommy.....where were all the HALI ?????:Secret:

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq116/twotkyns/IMG_20110729_073559.jpg

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq116/twotkyns/IMG_20110729_072734.jpg

bones
07-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Good job out there Tommy!
I'm kinda amazed that the big perch are still on the chew up there since it's almost August but hey....Take what you are given....right?
That WSB looks like it's been dead for a while....definately NOT safe to eat dude!
Hey...If the pig perch are out to play you have to try tossing mini hardbaits for them on a UL trout rod. It's a blast and your numbers will double on the perch in my experience. The fight is much better on lighter gear. I use 6 to 8lb test and a microlight 7ft rod combined with a 1000 series shimano reel. Those brute perch pull so hard that you will just grin from ear to ear. I throw two basic patterns. One real flashy and the other with a chartruese pattern for stained water.
Give it a shot....you wont be disappointed.

Thanks for the report.....Mike

DockRat
07-30-2011, 05:48 AM
Nice Slab. Thanks for the pics.
DR

Which Way Out
07-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Bear Grylis would of made a feast of that.:ROFL:

murrieta angler
07-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Definately wouldn't have tried to eat that WSB!!
Good job with the BSP's and the hali, to answer your question, are down here...:Cool:
Thanks for the report Tommy,
Robert
<><

PegLegg
07-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Lol, you guys crack me up!
I can tell from your reports Robert, you know..its not nice to share lol.
I used to do a lot of Perch fishing on light tackle but want to Hone in on my Hali Ninja Skills. I'm gonna stick to it and find all them sweet lil honey holes.