PDA

View Full Version : Seal Beach Pier

SealBeachRay
07-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Fished for a few hours 9-12pm Weds. morning with my son and his friend about 3/4 the way out at the Seal Beach pier on the north side railing. It wasn't crowded with plenty of space all around to set up with good catches inside for those closer to the surf fishing and catching Yellow Spot Fin Crokers some a few lbs in weight. Towards the end of the pier I saw a few Shovel Nose Sand Sharks about 20" long. Plenty of Mackerel for the kids to catch on anchovies. Lots of sardines towards the top for anyone wanting bait or for the kids to catch. I caught a Croker on muscel and then wait for it.. I hooked into something big.. Really big on muscel that was on the bottom and was casted away from the pier about 20 yards. I had my bail loose as I was fishing with another pole and helping my son and his friend fish. I noticed that line had wraped around my other reel as I untangled it and begin to reel it in I got into the fight of my life... For a solid 20 minutes I fought this fish as it took line and I could barely reel it after I thought that I could tired it out.. I got it close to the pier. My pole was bending stright down as I yelled to other fishermen to find me a net but nobody would help they just stared in disbelief... I relised that I could barely pick the monster up with my two arms! This fish weighed over 70 lbs! My right arm was sore as the fish took off after I had it below me, my pole bent hard as I was over the rail again fighting this fish, I had enough I couldn't take it anymore as I tighten my drag and tried for the last time to reel in in as I got it closer to the pier my pole was bent stright down again and again I could barely lift the weight. it felt like I was hooked to the bottom..I reeled more as I tried to bring it up...The weight was unreal I can't tell you how heavy it was cuz I have never experienced anything so heavy! Then the line broke right at the hook! My reel was a fairly new 8 ball bearing spinner which was is now broken cuz the switch that makes the reel option go backwards or forwards or to not will not hold the rotations in place now reguardless if the switch is on/off. I have fished Long Beach and Seal Beach since the 60's as I was an original kid that fished on the Queen Of The Sea boat back in the early 70's or the old Barge which was an old ferry in Long Beach ran by Tony. Or even the Annie B barge! I have never experienced a fish fight like that in my life, I just wish I could have seen the fish.. Everyone that saw me was amased as were my son and his friend. the fishermen near me really didn't want to talk to me for some reason..Oh well I am an old local that remembers when you could buy live bait on the pier and when big yellowtail used to run past the lights in the night with the bonito as guys with bow and arrows would spear them! Anyways take your kids to the pier and have fun as I did and I will never forget the gift I received from the fish that fought and won. I'll be back!:Wink:

smokehound
07-29-2011, 07:20 PM
That's the downside of using mussels, they attract huge batrays.

It sucks when you've got a huge school of spotfins, and the rays keep stealing your bait.

keepemlo
07-30-2011, 02:41 AM
Yeah there's mo way you would be able to lift that fish up without a gaff or walking it to shore but a good fight anyway

Ifishtoolittle
07-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Very nice write up. I felt like I was right next to you experiencing the whole thing.

SealBeachRay
07-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Thank you for your kind comment, I tried to give ya all a inside look as well as an outside look..LOL

SealBeachRay
07-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah it really was, I am glad it got away but I wish i could have seen it to be sure it was indeed a Batray.

DockRat
07-31-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks Ray and Welcome to FNN.

Try pushing the Enter button every 3 - 4 lines!
DR