PDA

View Full Version : Trying DVL again next Weds

River Monster
07-29-2011, 01:31 AM
Hi all,

Back to DVL for only my second time next week and am looking for a few more pointers. With the recent reports of the stripers showing up, I was wondering if the same 6 pound line recommendation I received in the past for LMB would still work for the stripers, or would I need to move it up a notch or two? My main hope is to go for some nice bluegill, but wouldn't hurt to try fishing for a few species for the experience. Any and all tips you may have for me at DVL are welcome. Thanks!

P.A.W.
07-29-2011, 06:30 AM
6lb. test might work. Just be ready for a few breakoffs. DON'T throw top waters or swimbaits with it! When stripers are in an aggressive mode a 3-4 lber will laugh at 6lb test. That line would be great for any other target species except maybe cats.

bassgrabber1
07-29-2011, 07:33 AM
I would no doubt use at the very least 10lb line.......stripers are very aggressive fish!

hookup
07-30-2011, 11:24 AM
six pound will be fine just make sure its a nice fresh spool youll get way more bites with lighter line that water is super clear plus i've seen people at that lake pull in many of double digit stripers on six pound line

Ifishtoolittle
07-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Dude 6lb will work fine. Just make sure you have smooth drag and fresh line. I've landed some 5lbrs on 4lb mono so you should have no problem. Plus, DVL doesn't really have any underwater structure for stripers to break you off on anyways.

River Monster
08-01-2011, 02:51 PM
On that note... what's you guys's take on fluro vs mono? I was thinking of getting spooled up with 6lb P Line CXX... Would that do?

DarkShadow
08-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I would no doubt use at the very least 10lb line.......stripers are very aggressive fish!

True that!

But the drag system on my Daiwa Finesse Custom 2004 is pretty aggressive too!

fish-o-haulic
08-01-2011, 03:39 PM
wont take anything under 8lb and thats if im feeling ambitious, maybe i just suck but ive had plenty of break offs using 6 and 8lb line, keeping my line tight and setting my drag just right. I was tought to fish with appropriate pole and line for the appropriate size fish, if your new to stripers i dont suggest 6lb test. i suggest 10or 12. of course had this been a few years ago i would suggest even bigger line than that, but im just reminsing now. But yeah go 8-10 and use flouro if you decide to use 6lb test. But then again what do i know I thought i was using to light of line using 12lb test at the aqueduct then came to this site and saw some people talking about using 6lb there. Some people on this site are bold but im not to happy with break offs.

allIdoIsfish
08-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Sorry the thread jack but i didnt think it would be necessary to start a new dvl thread. ill be going out tomorrow morning, Any tips on LMB? Which side of the lake is better for LMB?

River Monster
08-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Sorry the thread jack but i didnt think it would be necessary to start a new dvl thread. ill be going out tomorrow morning, Any tips on LMB? Which side of the lake is better for LMB?

Not really a thread jack, I wouldn't mind hearing about the same info. 6LB would be sufficient for LMB on the other hand from what I have heard so far. I am just not certain with how much better fluorocarbon would be vs mono and would like to hear about that as well. Planning on spooling up tonight for the trip on Weds.

ushone
08-01-2011, 04:50 PM
lmb at dvl are pretty ez, dropshot anywhere from 1-40 ft of water = beat the skunk
edit* thats with pretty much any color robo i believe the 4.5 in...have yet to not catch my limit doing so

allIdoIsfish
08-01-2011, 05:28 PM
lmb at dvl are pretty ez, dropshot anywhere from 1-40 ft of water = beat the skunk
edit* thats with pretty much any color robo i believe the 4.5 in...have yet to not catch my limit doing so

What side of the lake do you prefer?

River Monster
08-01-2011, 05:47 PM
What side of the lake do you prefer?

And back to my original question... pound line and fluoro or mono? :-)

River Monster
08-01-2011, 09:27 PM
So I ended up spooling 10lb maxima ultra green on one to target stripers and 6lb maxima ultra green on the other for more of an all purpose line. Time to get out there and throw all I've got lol

River Monster
08-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Another question comes to mind... would utilizing mono mainline with fluorocarbon leader defeat the purpose because the mainline would still stretch?

Ifishtoolittle
08-05-2011, 11:55 PM
So I ended up spooling 10lb maxima ultra green on one to target stripers and 6lb maxima ultra green on the other for more of an all purpose line. Time to get out there and throw all I've got lol

Don't be a pansy! go with 2lb! LOL I watch my old man horse in a 6lb Channel Cat last time on that. Hell even I've fought a 3lb LMB on 2lb! It's way more fun!

Ifishtoolittle
08-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Another question comes to mind... would utilizing mono mainline with fluorocarbon leader defeat the purpose because the mainline would still stretch?

Fluoro also stretches but only a little less. Just make sure to have your line tight before you swing for the glory!

Ifishtoolittle
08-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Side tracking here, but I'll be at DVL on Sunday with my pops, uncle, and my little cousin. Look for a guy with a WESC cap. Or maybe not even at all lol! It's going to be hot this sunday! Fun, fun, fun!!!

River Monster
08-06-2011, 12:19 AM
lol, hey I'll be going at it against next Thursday. I am going all out on using my vacation days at work for DVL... I'll be with my coworker. Two Asian guys, he's Filipino and I am Chinese.

Ifishtoolittle
08-06-2011, 12:26 AM
lol, hey I'll be going at it against next Thursday. I am going all out on using my vacation days at work for DVL... I'll be with my coworker. Two Asian guys, he's Filipino and I am Chinese.

Lol aren't we Asians everywhere? Haha!

tacklejunkie
08-06-2011, 12:59 AM
I have heard of people landing 16lb striper on 4lb test from shore.
I'd still use 4lb test if the bait I was throwing at the striper was light enough for 4lb test to handle.
Depends on the bait you are using what line rating and rod you use.

River Monster
08-06-2011, 01:19 AM
TJ, 4lb Fluoro? I don't feel I have the skills to fight with 4lb line yet. Will be fishing from boat using an old BPS XPS IM8 Medium Action rod rated for 4-12lb line. I still feel most comfortable if I have at least 6lb to cover my bases. What's your take on the the mono main line, fluoro leader? Probably will use some frozen sardines or dry shad as bait... so many shad lures to choose from... just gonna go with a random one unless anyone has a good recommendation.

allIdoIsfish
08-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Don't be a pansy! go with 2lb! LOL I watch my old man horse in a 6lb Channel Cat last time on that. Hell even I've fought a 3lb LMB on 2lb! It's way more fun!

Man i love the fight with 2# line. I brought in a 3.6# LMB off the east dam last week with my 2#!