PDA

View Full Version : Rat Beach Torrance, CA 07-27-11

jerr-dog
07-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Hey everyone this is my first post & can already tell you from my own experience without having taken any pics I dont expect alot of response or people to read the report. Sorry I forgot my camera still a NOOB & my buddies cell died :Embarrassed: With that said & out of the way just wanted to contribute to the boards. I started at Rat Beach Wends day night at about 9:30pm was a few other anglers on the beach as we headed to wards the rocks past where the bike lane ends. They were catching Shovel nose Guitar fish with some mackerel as bait. Spent a few hours with no bites then suddenly I caught my first Yellow fin Croaker Stoked! :Smile: I dont have a scale but it was just under 9 inches. Stayed all night through the high tide & low left about 10 am this morning. Don't want to bore anyone cause I don't have pics but I will next time :Cool: My buddie ended up with the biggest catch was a big fatty YFC. After all was said & done I didn't sleep all night but had a great time. The totals were

Jerr-dog
2 YFC
3 Walleye surf perch
Tom
1 YFC

I really enjoy this new hobby & living in the South Bay my whole life I intend to make use of the area that I live in. Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, & Torrance/ Rat Beach all withing close proximity of where I live. Seems like alot of guys fish in the OC areas & or Marina Del Rey or Dockweiler ect. Is there anyone here in the south bay area ? Can't wait to get out again.
Thanks for your time & have a great day. :Big Grin:

JimmisLine
07-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Hey, jerr-doy. Thanks for the report. Sounds like fun. I live in the South Bay. Torrance as a matter of fact. Just getting into surf fishing. I would like to do more saltwater in-shore. I do freshwater, too. Send me a PM if you'd like to get together and fish sometime.

DockRat
07-29-2011, 05:54 AM
Sup Jerr, I hit Torrance last night 6:30 to 8:00 pm. Had a 6.4' High tide at 8:13 pm :Shocked: Tossed the Chrome/Green Kroc and caught alot of weeds :No Pity:

The water was nice and warm in trunks. No way you could fish standing in the water with that high of tide. The surf shut down on the 6.4 but the shorebreak was pounding and the inshore trench would swallow you up.
DR

jerr-dog
07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Hey, jerr-doy. Thanks for the report. Sounds like fun. I live in the South Bay. Torrance as a matter of fact. Just getting into surf fishing. I would like to do more saltwater in-shore. I do freshwater, too. Send me a PM if you'd like to get together and fish sometime.

Hey JimmisLine I just might do that. that's what I'm talking about. I can ride my bike up there sometime. I be in touch. Thanks

jerr-dog
07-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Sup Jerr, I hit Torrance last night 6:30 to 8:00 pm. Had a 6.4' High tide at 8:13 pm :Shocked: Tossed the Chrome/Green Kroc and caught alot of weeds :No Pity:

The water was nice and warm in trunks. No way you could fish standing in the water with that high of tide. The surf shut down on the 6.4 but the shore break was pounding and the inshore trench would swallow you up.
DR

Hey Dock Rat thanks for the reply. The high tides have been brutal the last few days & my buddie kept getting stuck on weeds too. I want to go back it's pretty secluded over there. It's a GREAT area to live if you can't afford the area. Those houses there have walkways right down to the beach. I could only imagine.

JapanRon
07-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi jerr-dog,

Welcome to the posters club. Keep up the reports .... catch or not they're valuable

JapanRon

boxl0bster
07-29-2011, 06:16 PM
thanks for the report jerr-dog, i've always wondered about that beach. used to skim board there a lot. :Cool:

GETBIT!
07-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey you got a couple!! More than I can say, god has it been slow down there the past couple days, beware of the inshore it'll eat you alive!!

n1ckxlam
07-31-2011, 12:03 PM
whats up jerrdog, wtg for the report. dont worry, you got some south bay anglers here too...

nick

keepemlo
08-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Sup jerr I was at rat sun morn lotta salad no takers ,as I was resting just looking at the surf I saw huge corbina so I just kinda stayed there and waited to see which kind of wave they preferred to swing in on it was interesting as they are similar to surfers waiting on a certain wave ,anyway I like that beach an old salt told me they were doing good uat dockwialer anyway cu

ushone
08-05-2011, 03:59 PM
any recent sessions from rat or surrounding areas? im comin back to cali after a 3 week vacation in texas....got a major itch to fish and just before i left caught the salt bug :o

smokehound
08-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Corbina really enjoy a good rip-current.

AnGleR
08-05-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't mean to be a downer but here goes. Torrance beach is open 6am - sunset. No fishing or entering after that. I'm glad you went but unfortunately I got caught in July. The officer was nice enough to explain to me the rules and did not take my gear. Just a simple ticket of $75 and that's it.

It doesn't bother me at that you went...So hey, keep going til you get caught:) And please post again when you do. Good report and glad you got em!

GETBIT!
08-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Not sure i read your post right but you got a ticket for fishing Torrance beach or a parking ticket?

ushone
08-06-2011, 07:59 AM
its seems hes saying he got 1 for fishng after sunset, i found it hard to believe myself after all the times ive been down their just hangin out with friends after sunset....i thought i would of seen a sign if it was posted about that since im usally pretty observant of signs like that ( hate gettin roled by the ones)...but ill have to check it out when im back in town unless someone can clairify

fishshep
08-06-2011, 08:24 AM

The water was nice and warm in trunks. No way you could fish standing in the water with that high of tide. The surf shut down on the 6.4 but the shorebreak was pounding and the inshore trench would swallow you up.
DR

All you South Bay locals probably already know ? But those "inshore trenches " are where
the Halibut and Beans are !!! :Wink: Not on a 6.0 plus tide level though. 2.o- 4.o is good . :Smile:

GETBIT!
08-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Grew up in Torrance and frequent the beach often,never seen any "no fishing after sunset"sighns posted but wouldent put it past tpd for writing you some sort of ticket, be careful "loitering"in their parking lot especially after sunset

ushone
08-07-2011, 06:38 AM
ya, gotta agree tpd is super douche

jerr-dog
08-07-2011, 12:01 PM
any recent sessions from rat or surrounding areas? I'm coming back to cali after a 3 week vacation in texas....got a major itch to fish and just before i left caught the salt bug :o

Yhea as a matter of fact was just there last weekend for the grunion run. Guess all the fish were full ha ha.

I don't mean to be a downer but here goes. Torrance beach is open 6am - sunset. No fishing or entering after that. I'm glad you went but unfortunately I got caught in July. The officer was nice enough to explain to me the rules and did not take my gear. Just a simple ticket of $75 and that's it.

It doesn't bother me at that you went...So hey, keep going til you get caught:) And please post again when you do. Good report and glad you got em!

Wow a ticket huh? I wouldn't be surprised one bit by the Torrance Pd. I was way down if some one could even tell I was on the beach they would have to walk in the sand quite a distance to issue me that ticket. Good looking out though at least if it happens I CAN'T say no one ever told me. I actually went back to Ratt Beach last Sun 07-31-11 with my son Noah & did a quick 4-5 hour session with no luck when he saw his first grunion wash up to shore then another one & another one. Took some grunion home for some bait next time I take my kayak out. Actually did that yesterday 08-06-11 see report in Yakers & tubers once I finish this post. Hey thanks for the post you guys.

jerr-dog
08-07-2011, 12:02 PM
We do now.... I'm still totally new to fishing so thanks now to find them trenches. Sweet

oldfishguy
08-08-2011, 10:14 PM
im in redondo and just getting back into fishing if you want somebody to go with ide be willing and i dont mind all nighters.