PDA

View Full Version : What setup should i use?

skimstr
08-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Doing a 1/2 day trip out of newport on Friday and was wondering what setup to bring with me. I plan on fishing with the live bait that they provide. What rig seems to work the best, hook size, weights, knotts, ect? Does anyone use or recommend using braided line like (30lb Pro Line for example)?

willis949
08-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I went out twice last week and killed it.To save time I would suggest using a egg sinker and just buy some of the big split shots.Just throw a 1 oz sinker on then tie a 2/0 live bait hook ,throw a split shot 18"-24" up and drop it past the barries and the macs.There are plenty of mackeral out and flylining will only get you either of these two.My brother and I were going deep and caught plenty of big bass,two halis and even a sheephead.Good eatin too.Jackpot usually goes to the biggest Barracuda so if you want dedicate a little time to catching one or two but I dont know about you but I would rather fish all day for bass than a fish that would eat anything that moves.By the way I used 12 lb test all day and you could use 15-20 lb and have no problems.

skimstr
08-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey thx for your reply! So you say go with a carolina rig set up....did you go all the way to the bottom for the halis? Check out this hali that i caught last year on the freelance out of newport...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/Photomaster81/67341259jGpOUyoS.HalibutTwo.jpg

willis949
08-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Well it depends if you end up on the flats or not.We were on the man made reef and they were taking us into cover so I found it worked better to stay 5-10 feet up from the bottom.Nice Hali,that is my goal every time I go out.So far this year I have only caught one legal.

ThemBastards
08-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Hahah it looks like you got a Large Mouth in that pic Willis.

Nice Hali skimstr.

Braided will work well if you are gonna be in large kelp fields. It will slice right through that stuff

victor101
08-12-2007, 03:05 PM
if i was bringing 1 setup on a halfday it would be a #20 setup. a dropperloop/reverse dropper loop rig with a 1or2oz weight for the bass and maybe some 1/2 ounce egg sinkers with size 2/0 hooks if the cuda are biting. if i could bring 2 setups, then i would bring a 15 for the bass and a 20 for the barries. you might need 4,6 ounce weights incase you go sculpin or rockfishing. Good luck!
-vic

skimstr
08-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Thx for your reply. On the reverse dropper loop setup, how much leader from the weight to you normally use. If im not mistaken, the reverse dropper loop is a loop knot with a 3 foot tag and the weight goes on the loop and the hook goes on the end of the tag?

willis949
08-17-2007, 01:23 PM
THem Bastards,It does look like it doesn't it.I forgot to pose like you did on your other post,with no smile.My shirt is soaked from trying to get the biggest bait and some little kid was playing in the bait tank all day