PDA

View Full Version : From S.D Tuna Fishing To N. Cal Trout Fishing

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Leaving tomorrow early morn for my annual fishing trip to the Mt Lassen area. Lots of creeks, rivers, and lakes to explore and catch brown, brookies, and rainbows.
Last years fire that went through the surrounding areas of Old Station opened up lots of areas to fish Hat Creek. Last I heard, the DFG is heavily planting trout in every place possible hoping to get more people to come, because everyone thinks the fire destroyed too much and they won't go to fish the area. NOT TRUE ! Hat Creek runs 365 days a year because it is all spring fed, and it has many places to fish with limits easily possible. The DFG is even planting lots of broodstock!
There's a few places there I can catch and release 20 rainbows in 2 hours, all 1.5 - 2 lbs apiece.
I'm not promoting the area, I just love it up there......even though it is a 10 hour drive to get there, and I also have a nice place to stay for free! (relatives).
I'll be sure to post my report after returning.
TTFM

golfish
07-28-2011, 04:04 PM
I've spent some time at Old Station. Good breakfast there :) Please let me know how the fishing was. My son and I are going on a trip in Sept, just not sure where :)

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-28-2011, 09:18 PM
golfish
Bet you ate at J J's. Everything on their menu is xlnt. All their baked goodies are made right there and on weekends they have bbq'd food to die for.
Baum Lake is always good, so is Hat Creek below Powerhouse 1 and above it at the forebay. I'd also try the Pit River just downstream from Hwy 299.
TTFM