PDA

View Full Version : 6 Day on the Excel 7/21-27/2011

greg
07-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Just stepped off the Excel with the new owner and captain (Justin Fleck).

Day 1 - Fished for bluefin with 20 on our first stop at graylight followed by 1 more but that was it for the day. I got mine on a flylined sardine. Reports from the other boats also had low numbers.

Day 2 - Started at the north end of Cedros and fished the inside while the Spirit of Adventure was fishing the outside. Lots of life - porpoise, seagulls, pelicans, breaking fish (large spanish mackerels and sardines). I was fishing the iron, started with a Salas 6x in scrambled eggs then switched to a Salas 6x Jr in scrambled eggs for five 20-25 pound yellowtails. That night, we anchored in a sandy area and I picked up my first white sea bass - 31.7 pounds! Dropper loop with a sardine. Another white sea bass and a few halibuts were caught. Reports on the tuna grounds was scratchy.

Day 3 - Finished our yellowtail fishing around the south end of Cedros. We had yellowtails to 40 pounds (the jackpot winner).

Day 4 - Travelled north and hit a few spots for boat limits of rockcod. I even picked up a large sheephead.

Day 5 - Hit the tuna grounds but no tuna. We picked up a few yellowtails and dodos on the kelp. My yellowtail and dodo came on a flylined sardine. Since we were 150 miles south of port, we called it at 3 pm and high tailed it home.

Sorry, no pics...

murrieta angler
07-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the report Greg.
Looking like a decent year so far.
Robert
<><

DockRat
07-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Nice job. It is almost time to break out WFO.
I am dieing for some arm burners.
DR

Which Way Out
07-28-2011, 08:09 AM
The bait is stacked up all the way to Monterrey, you would think the predators would be here by now.
Just 1 mile off the coast of Santa Barbara the water is clear and blue, like off shore tuna water. Somethings gotta happen big time soon.

Anyway thanks for the first hand report.

JapanRon
07-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi greg,

Wow ..... six whole, long days. I'd go stir-crazy !!

JapanRon