PDA

View Full Version : fishing Huntington Harbor boat docks and by the sea bass pen

evosamurai
07-27-2011, 05:52 PM
does anyone fish the docks or over by the sea bass pen? i fish the docks about twice a week using squid and lures, i get needlefish chasing but not biting, also seen a huge school of what looked like sea bass just doing figure eights in the harbor, then started getting some air feeding on small smelt. any tips on catching these, they didnt seem interested in anything i was throwing.

Ifishtoolittle
07-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Catch one of those smelts and give them a go!

evosamurai
07-27-2011, 06:02 PM
yea got a bait trap gonna leave it out over night with bread in it and see whats in there the next day, any lures that would be good? maybe with some squid on the hook?

Ifishtoolittle
07-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Jack smelt do hit bait. Squid works but make sure you use a small hook for them say size 14-16?

Oh, if you are referring to WSB or larger fish I can't really help you out there, but I'll give it a shot. What kind of fish are you targeting specifically?

evosamurai
07-27-2011, 09:31 PM
well theres spotted bay bass, calicos, sand bass(havent caught there yet), halibut(gonna buy halibut rigs tomorrow) have frozen squid, calicos hit on rattletraps, would some type of lucky craft get halibut? i like to have a rod out bait n wait and i like to work the other by throwing plastics or whatever. Also lots of needlefish dont know if i wanna catch one though they chase lures by turn away at the last second

Cadillyak
07-27-2011, 09:35 PM
From what I have heard, the LC flashminnow 110 is what u wanna look at when targeting Halibut.

evosamurai
07-27-2011, 10:02 PM
i knew it was one of them been searching to find the name i think vanillagurilla mentioned that one awhile back thanks

evosamurai
07-27-2011, 10:04 PM
there are several colors should i go ghost green smelt?

evosamurai
07-27-2011, 10:50 PM
im going out again tomorrow afternoon around 4 pm hopefully i catch some smelt at least for bait

Ifishtoolittle
07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
3" Bay Smelt BH on a 3/8oz war hammer or any kind of weedless leadhead will work. Also T-rigged creature baits will work. This is for all kinds of bass and inshore rockfish BTW.

Dirty water=Brighter colors, Clear water= Natural colors

Oh and one more thing I've never tried this, but make sure you get some scent for those plastics. I've seen them work all too well. Uni-butter or Hot Sauce are effective from what I understand.

bassturd951
07-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Try a 3/8 slayer head with the 3in big hammer and the unibutter is the way to go

DockRat
07-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Bring a bunch of white bread and break it up into small pieces, chum for 5 min then use a tiny hook or sabiki rig with a 1/8" piece of squid tenacle on it..
Those smelt last a long time in a 5 gal bucket. 6 to 8 hours if you change 1/2 the water every 45 min.
Smelt is the # 1 Halibut bait.
DR

ToonaTangler
07-29-2011, 07:56 AM
I have fished that area my whole life and your honestly better off going to the beach and surf fishing then you do by the seabass pin. The only real decent spot to fish in HB Harbour is by the Simple Green Building and all around that general area. Rattle traps will work great in red & white color and just about any creature bait you would use for fresh water bass will work great also. Squid, Shrimp, Gulp, Chovies all do well in these areas. I have gotten barracuda, every species of bass, legal halibut, big leo's and sandies along with **** tons of sting rays and bat rays, huge shovel nose. I happened to live in those condos next to the simple green building so I have fished that area for many years. Forget about the seabass pin area and work the beach or find some new docks closer to simple green building.

evosamurai
07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
ok thanks for the tips guys