PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Lake July Trout Bite!

VinePatrol
07-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Why go to Bishop- SAVE GAS/TIME and come to Irvine Lake!

With the warmer weather, comes the catfishermen...but you say where did all the Trout go? The trout are still here...in short, they're swimming deeper to stay in the cooler water temps in Irvine Lake. They can easily swim up to the 5'-10' range in the blink of an eye...

The last few weeks has been evident of this. Today we had more stringers of Trout mixed in with Catfish...from trolling, baiting to drifting...

Here, Curtis Meade (Marlon Meade's father) showing us what a half-day of fishing for Trout can provide- A FULL STRINGER! Curtis and Marlon were using the new Gulp "pinch-worms" that are in the Vine tackleshop..
http://irvinelake.net/users/tmp3/P1040607.JPG

Rick Vigil checking in by 1pm with a full stringer of Catfish and 3 Rainbow Trout in the 3-3.7lb range. Rick was trolling using some of his spoons and Rapala firetiger lures along the Santiago Flats/Marina earlier in the day.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i323/Irvine_Lake/kewlyshot_rickvigil.jpg

IRVINE LAKE PRO-SHOP SPECIAL!
STOCK UP FOR TROUT SEASON!- Buy 1 package of Gulp get the 2nd one at 50% off!
(sale item must be of equal or lesser value)

Steve Carson
07-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Regarding a conversation I had this week with Jimmy; Although our steelhead are of course not "pure wild" steelhead stock, their DNA is about 80 to 85-percent steelhead [mostly crossed with cutthroat].
Compared to other strains of rainbow trout, steelhead-strain fish have a much higher tolerance for warm water temperatures. Their natural life cycle may have them going through sections of streams that are very still and warm, and "summer run" steelies try to get a jump on their cousins in the upstream spawning race, and having to "hold" for some time waiting for the autumn precipitation to raise/cool the water.
Although it is not the strain we get, the now rare "Southern Steelhead" was once a common catch in the San Diego River, Tijuana River, and even some smaller streams of northern Baja.