PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Santa Ana River and Tributaries

CoffeaRobusta
07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi All,

Wife and I are going camping at Heart Bar. I'm hoping to do some fishing and hit up the river, maybe some of the local creeks too. Any tips you guys are willing to share - gear, access points, streams I shouldn't miss?

I'm thinking of taking my cheap telescoping spinning rod, 2 lb test, some panther martins, power bait and salmon eggs. The plan is to look for deep pools and tumbling water that looks like it should be cool and well oxygenated.

Thanks,

RTG
07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi All,

Wife and I are going camping at Heart Bar. I'm hoping to do some fishing and hit up the river, maybe some of the local creeks too. Any tips you guys are willing to share - gear, access points, streams I shouldn't miss?

I'm thinking of taking my cheap telescoping spinning rod, 2 lb test, some panther martins, power bait and salmon eggs. The plan is to look for deep pools and tumbling water that looks like it should be cool and well oxygenated.

Thanks,
Doesn't sound like you need much advice. You're using what most would use. Two baits to consider though...crickets for the brown trout, although most are small, and Velveeta cheese really works well there for the rainbows. Tiny jigs work too. Try to hike away from the "easy" areas, as they get the pressure. And don't forget-if you're keeping trout it's 5 per day and only 5 in possession, even if you're fishing multiple days.

RTG
07-27-2011, 10:13 AM
One more thing. There are bears at Heart Bar. Don't leave food or trash out and cover up coolers and food in your vehicle so the bears can't see it. If you don't you're askin' for it...

CoffeaRobusta
07-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the advice and the bait tips, RTG. I once tried crickets in the Feather near Portola for no love. I like how you think I might actually catch a limit. That's positive thinking!