PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Mistake

Deyymonayy
07-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Hey guys, haven't fished in a while but I finally made it up to Gregory on Monday. Weeds, weeds, weeds everywhere. I started at the concrete wall by the entrance to the swim beach and managed two small, I mean really small blue gill, maybe inch and a half, on a zebra midge. After a while messing around at the wall I moved to the complete opposite side of the lake near what I believe is a spillway? I managed another two gills there a little larger than the first and then the wind picked up. I did see several carp, roughly three or four pounds cruising the shallows, anyone know if bowfishing is legal up there???

seal
07-27-2011, 08:24 AM
No bowfishing is not allowed at Gregory, BBL yes.

TheAsianGuy
07-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Looks like Gregory is not doing its job in controlling the weeds. Must be the dead budget season (May to August). New budget has been passed, so, hopefully, the authority should be doing something about the weeds soon.

BBfish
07-27-2011, 07:41 PM
What do you think about a bobber and 12" leader??? Would that combo get stuck in weeds?

TheAsianGuy
07-27-2011, 09:18 PM
It won't get stuck in the weed if you toss it out beyond 25 feet. However, as it comes in, SNAG!! So, it's a yes and no answer.

Kelster
07-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the update, I was thinking about maybe heading up there. I really like that lake but earlier in the year.

castle
07-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Hey guys, haven't fished in a while but I finally made it up to Gregory on Monday. Weeds, weeds, weeds everywhere. I started at the concrete wall by the entrance to the swim beach and managed two small, I mean really small blue gill, maybe inch and a half, on a zebra midge. After a while messing around at the wall I moved to the complete opposite side of the lake near what I believe is a spillway? I managed another two gills there a little larger than the first and then the wind picked up. I did see several carp, roughly three or four pounds cruising the shallows, anyone know if bowfishing is legal up there???

Lake Gregory is one of my favorite spots. But this year may be an off year for the panfish bite. I did good last season, but now there are noting but fry dinks as you also noted.Try the early evening, the crappies seem to bite better before sunset :)

Deyymonayy
07-29-2011, 08:23 PM
I remember last year was far better. I hope this lake turns around for next year

QB7940
07-29-2011, 11:28 PM
The spawn at that lake was later this year than last. If you guys noticed, this is year is a lot cooler than last, and the summer heat was a little slow to kick in. When crappie spawn sometimes the bigger ones will spawn first or later. They go in groups. I caught this limit at gregory jun 22nd they were in very shallow water 6 inches to 1.5 feet of water. They're stunted at 8-10 inches.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/QB7940/0622012037-1.jpg

You can still catch them now in the evening, they patrol the outside of the weed bed come evening.

BackReel909
07-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I sooo wish the crappies weren't stunted at Greg...went there yesterday and striped my buddy got one 10" trout on bait at the ballfield. Couldn't get any love on jig and bobber from the crapps

tacklejunkie
07-30-2011, 11:21 AM
I hate the ballfield lol everyone over there throwing everythign over my lines.

I go to catfish cove and sniff out the panfish. They are rather aggressive for their stunted size!

Bobber fishin', mini jigs or trout surface flies will do it. Crappie jigs too. Mini Rapala crankbaits as well.
I like to bring little shiny crappie jigs and 4lb test with ultralight rod and a fly rod or some crickets.

Natural Lefty
07-30-2011, 11:41 AM
QB, if you caught a limit of 8-10 inch Crappies at Gregory, I think that makes you the all-time jumbo Crappie catching champion of Lake Gregory. I have caught hundreds of Crappies there, and the biggest I ever caught there was 9 1/2 inches. Usually, very few are over 8 inches. The past few years, none have been bigger than 7 inches, and most were 5-6 inches. I guess different people have different ideas of what it means to be "stunted."

Most of the Crappies I have caught at Gregory have been in Catfish Cove. I think I may have met Tackle Junkie over there quite a few years ago, in fact, but we were never formally introduced. The biggest ones I caught were by the baseball field, though.

I haven't been to Gregory this year, though, so I cannot give an informed comment on the current state of the fishing there. I usually catch the most Crappies at Gregory in May or June, with July being third best, but the biggest ones I caught were years ago, in August.

Jcco98
07-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Looks like Gregory is not doing its job in controlling the weeds. Must be the dead budget season (May to August). New budget has been passed, so, hopefully, the authority should be doing something about the weeds soon.

They've doubled the cost (now $10 per day) to float tube...I don't want to hear them complaining about the budget.

TheAsianGuy
07-31-2011, 01:54 PM
They've doubled the cost (now $10 per day) to float tube...I don't want to hear them complaining about the budget.

I don't mind the cost to go up a bit, as long as the lake is maintained with the new fees instilled, rather than some local politicians abusing the collected fund for his/her own greed. The cost for vehicle registration had tripled, and we still pissed about it :LOL: The roads still have enough holes to consider them as Swiss cheese, while Caltrans higher ups enjoyed the luxury of the high pays. Seriously, DFG and local state parks budgets are way way way below their intended expenditure levels. That's why my family and friends (whom I lectured) always glad to offer helping hands in maintaining the cleanliness of the water bodies when we see craps laying around. Can't do much to maintain what are in and under the water.

Catlady
10-21-2011, 09:36 AM
I havent fished Gregory for years, but is there a cove on Gregory anywhere? Didnt realize it was big enough to have a cove to be honest. Are you talking about somewhere traveling along the shore going west from the ballfield, along the south side of the lake?

Catlady
10-21-2011, 09:37 AM
years ago the best place for cats/bullheads was off the parking area next to the marina

TheAsianGuy
10-21-2011, 12:09 PM
years ago the best place for cats/bullheads was off the parking area next to the marina

Cats since then moved to the deeper areas, stretching between the inlet near the bridge, and the baseball field. More nutrients to hog with, and less fight against the panfishes and trouts.

I havent fished Gregory for years, but is there a cove on Gregory anywhere? Didnt realize it was big enough to have a cove to be honest. Are you talking about somewhere traveling along the shore going west from the ballfield, along the south side of the lake?

Trouts hang around along the shaded areas near the chamber of commerce, the spot they called Picnic Point. A quick walk down the hill, and you'll see a nice little cove called Trout Point. Trouts, basses, and panfishes hand around this area. Panfishes like to hang near the southern stretch along the three line, near the water park parking lot, all the way to the baseball field. The eastern shoreline is where the basses congregate to hunt for large bugs that tend to be victims from the early morning and late evening winds.

Catlady
10-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I ended up fishing Saturday morning on the south side along the "radio controlled boat" wall. People were already fishing by the tree roots coming out of the water. Not a single bite to be had. I did see the large carp cruising the shallows and jumping occasionally

TheAsianGuy
10-25-2011, 02:41 PM
South side RC boat area don't normally yield any significant. Carps do lurk in the area to hunt for bait fishes. Where you want is the entire southern shore line below the trees. You have to hunt for them. At this time in the year, you have to fish deep, which means 10 feet and deeper. Trouts and basses will hunt at the surface during very early morning, late afternoon (1 to 3pm), and definitely late evening (6 to 9pm). Sorry to hear that you didn't catch anything. Keep trying. You'll get that lake mapped out in your head soon, and the fishes' behaviors.