PDA

View Full Version : Balboa Pier 7/25/11

jsl
07-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Got down there around 6sh to have a looksy and to see if bonito were around but it was pretty dismal. Conditions looked great with incoming tide, nice clean water and very little wind but the fish weren't around that day. A few folks were catching a mack or sardine here and there but it was far from wide open. If you're looking to score some bait or just wet a line, do it somewhere else because it was pretty darn slow there yesterday as most buckets were empty.

Scott

smokehound
07-26-2011, 07:22 PM
You guys trip me out, you just fish for mackerel and sharks, the pilings are where it's at.

Bring some mussels and shrimp. Fish directly on the pilings, scorpionfish love vertical spaces.

jsl
07-26-2011, 10:35 PM
I like to throw spoons for bonito and the shovelnose put up a good fight so that's mainly why I target 'em. Had no idea about what you suggested but I'll give it a try next time. Thanks! BTW, when you say scorpionfish, are you referring to sculpin?

Scott

murrieta angler
07-27-2011, 07:46 AM
At least you got out and tried Scott!
Yes, a scorpionfish is also referred to as a sculpin.
Thanks for the short report,
Robert
<><

smokehound
07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
TOns of fish hang out on the pilings.

Bass, Opaleye, different kinds of perch, ScorpionFish, Sometimes a cabezon or two. Though the cabs are usually too small.

Ifishtoolittle
07-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Bring a stiff rod in the event that you should get stuck!