PDA

View Full Version : Transom replacement??

Brian_GSC
07-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Has anybody ever replaced the transom of an aluminum boat? I've got an 18ft and it has some pitting in the aluminum that has gotten worse over time (previous owner didn't take good care of her).

I'd rather fix the problem than put band-aids on it. Does anybody have any recommendations/suggestions?

THANKS!

murrieta angler
07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Howdy, If you can take some pictures of it, close-up and distance, I might be able to help you out.
PM me the pics.
Robert
<><

vortec_cruiser
07-27-2011, 04:22 PM
You might want to also check the iboat forum. They have tons of good info.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum.php

fullerton
07-28-2011, 08:02 AM
I had a similar problem with my 1982 16' Valco. I had multiple pits that went through to the plywood backing. Initially I repaired the leaking holes with silicone or small screws depending on the size of the hole. After years of patching, I decided to remove the outboard and laminate a 16" x 16" aluminum patch (can't remember which alloy) onto the transom to cover the entire area. I did a few other things as well to help reduce/eliminate the electrolysis. Below is a crude list of things to consider:

Apply the aluminum patch with Boatlife Life Calk, I used the 80ml tubes. Life calk seems to be highly recommended based on my research. It is non-shrinking and ok tomuse below the waterline. It can be mess, but seems to work well.

I have two batteries onboard, I tied both ground terminals together with 6g wire.

I mounted 2 sacrificial anodes to the transom

With the motor removed, I blasted Salt Away into the space between the transom plywood and the aluminum skin. The wood had previously been pretty well soaked with salt water thanks to a bait tank which constantly doused it with sea water.

I only completed the job in June, but so far so good. I may have pictures of the cheesy looking but effective job.

Good luck.

Brian_GSC
07-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Robert...check your PM