PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have any experience with "Great Lakes Emerald Shiners"

billy b
07-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Found a pack sitting on the shore of at Virginia Lakes and wondered. I suppose that even if they are real fish ... the fact that they are dead makes them legal?

smokehound
08-04-2011, 11:52 AM
they're just emerald shiners. And they suck.

You're way better off catching fathead minnows with a sabiki rig. try it, you might get some shad too.

(remember to cut off all but three hooks)

tacklejunkie
08-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I can make a Striper at Silverwood eat a bassworm but I can't get them to eat those pre packaged shad baits in any brand. Go figure.

It's either because one of Striper main forage is eels and large worms in the ocean, the dead shad are a dead giveaway, or the anus scent they put all over them.

Either way, none of it works weather it's legal or not.
Probably better off eating them on some chicken-in-a-biscuit crackers w/ an ice 24.

smokehound
08-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I can make a Striper at Silverwood eat a bassworm but I can't get them to eat those pre packaged shad baits in any brand. Go figure.

It's either because one of Striper main forage is eels and large worms in the ocean, the dead shad are a dead giveaway, or the anus scent they put all over them.

Either way, none of it works weather it's legal or not.
Probably better off eating them on some chicken-in-a-biscuit crackers w/ an ice 24.It's the anus scent, alright! It's so freaking pungent. Smells like a friggen bottle of Jaeger.

Anise makes a good scent for a bait, but in SMALL AMOUNTS. In the bags, it looks like they were sealed with nothing but anise oil.. Yeesh.

If they salt-cured the shad, did away with the anise, and left them this way, the shad would work great...