PDA

View Full Version : LA River Carp

DockRat
07-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Hit the river the other day for Carp. Used corn on a #8 worm/bait hook.
Got bites almost every cast but was unable to set the hook.
After losing a 2' - 10 big one a couple weeks ago. I got Carp fever.
The water level has dropped some and this legal, easy access spot in Long Beach is full of fish.

Boils within 10' of you, lots of jumpers too. These carp require skill to hook.

Picked up some # 8 owner mosquito hooks and gunna try again today or sat after work.

PM me with your phone # if you want to get in on this major bendo action.

Better than all those 1 - 4 lb LMB you guys waste your time on :LOL:

Major Drag Burners !
No sandels, dress commando style. http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm299/Blankstares_2008/Commando.gif
DR

ALSO LA River has the Mirror Carp, Trophy Catch.

Any FNNers ever catch a Mirror Carp.
Bred by Buddest Monks to have less scales.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/fflutterffly/IMGP0048.jpg

Cangler
07-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Yup , Carp a lot of fun .
Beats me why the LMB guys spurn them . Especially when LMB aren't a native
species too.

ScottyP
07-22-2011, 07:30 AM
I've caught two mirrors in the last month.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i477/hookedonlife/STP89879.jpg

Also, caught my PB mirror at your spot last week.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i477/hookedonlife/STP89978.jpg

I'll try and meet you out there this weekend, give me a call.

DarkShadow
07-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Better than all those 1 - 4 lb LMB you guys waste your time on :LOL:

I don't mind carp, it's the sitting there and scratching myself wondering when I'm gonna get a bite, and at the same time, contemplating why my hands smell like corn and tortillas, that I can't get over.

I didn't know mirror carp were bred to have less scales! That's an interesting fact, and it makes me feel better knowing that when i catch mirror carp, I help them out by removing the rest of their scales so they look like they've been NAIR'ed. There's nothing like a shorn mirror carp.

blackberg
07-22-2011, 09:15 AM
nice carp, never heard or seen mirror carp before

-bb

DockRat
07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Ill be there at 5:30 today.
Come on down. Park at 25th st an LA River in LB.
DR

bman90278
07-23-2011, 05:13 AM

-bb

Those are the ones that have even higher toxicity levels than the carps with semi-high toxic levels. lol

DockRat
07-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Another heartbreaker.:Embarrassed:
Had a nice fat 8 - 10 lber lost in the rocks in a last minute escape.
After trying to carefully bring in this Carp, Snap goes the 4 lb leader on a rock.:Bawling:

The Carp we not very active yesterday. Only a couple jumpers, maybe due to these people constantly casting big weights ???

When I first walked uo at 5:45 pm I saw 10 people fishing :Shocked:

Went down to check them out but ' No Habla English ' 3 adults and 7 kids
No Problema. Yo Habla Espanol.

I talked to the kids and was telling them that they should not eat these nasty
LA River Carp. They were useing 2 oz weights and big treble hooks loaded with corn.
Typical kids can't sit still, constant re-casting unhooking moss.

I proceded to 'Rocky Point' to fish in the rocky area sitting hidden in the cat tails.

I don't mind carp, it's the sitting there and scratching myself wondering when I'm gonna get a bite,
That is not a problem at this spot, constant bites.
DR

Mirror Carp
Conservation status
Domesticated
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Cypriniformes
Family: Cyprinidae
Genus: Cyprinus
Species: C. carpio
Subspecies: C. c. carpio
Trinomial name
Cyprinus carpio carpio
(Linnaeus, 1758)

Mirror carp are a type of fish, commonly found in the United Kingdom and Europe. The name "Mirror Carp" originates from their scales' resemblance to mirrors. They can grow in excess of 60lb - the last few British record fish have all been mirror carp.

The difference between mirror and common carp is both genetic and visual - biologically they are similar. The mirror carp was the first mutation of common carp, owing to two alternative genes, the S allele and the N allele. The genetic term for a mirror carp is "ssnn" (all minor). Common carp have an even, regular scale pattern, whereas mirrors have irregular and patchy scaling, making many fish unique and possible to identify individual fish by sight, leading to most carp in the UK over 40 lb being nicknamed. This lack of scales is widely believed to have been bred in by monks in order to make the fish easier to prepare for the table. The current British record (as of December 13, 2009) is a carp known as 'Two tone' due to its colouration, caught from Conningbrook Lake in Kent and weighing in at 67 lb 14oz (30.45 kg).'Two Tone' was found dead in his lake on August 14, 2010. The current world record (as of November 2010) stands at 99lb (45kg), caught from Luke Moffat's Les Graviers near to Dijon in France.

Contrary to popular belief, Leather carp are not Mirror carp without scales; there is a distinct genetic difference. Leather carp are permitted a few scales; however, the dorsal row of scales is either absent or incomplete. Leathers also have reduced numbers of red blood cells, slowing growth rates.

DockRat
07-23-2011, 06:33 AM
I'll try and meet you out there this weekend, give me a call.

Scotty, I lost (deleated) your ph # and email. Can you pm me the # and your email ?
I'll send you the pic of the one your holding the carp. The sandbar was loaded withe the families, chairs ect.
DR

nelayan
07-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Hi DR! Thanks for the report and the spot. Will try to go there this week.

Rudy
Thanks

LuvThymetal
07-26-2011, 11:39 PM
That's crazy..Never seen a carp like that one

reservoir dog
08-12-2011, 04:29 PM
You mean like this...LOL! Hooked this little bad boy yesterday for fun...without a pole!!!

vortec_cruiser
08-12-2011, 09:33 PM
You mean like this...LOL! Hooked this little bad boy yesterday for fun...without a pole!!!

Did you get that one where DR has been fishing? I'm heading there later tomorrow morning to see if I can C&R some more of those bad boys.

ScottyP
08-13-2011, 08:36 AM
I hit up DR's spot on Thursday night. Must have been at least 25 bucket fishermen showed up at 6:30pm. Huge pyramid sinkers were zipping all around my head. Ran me right out of my spot. I ended up skunking; in fact, I didn't even get a bite. Only time I've ever skunked at that spot. I think maybe it's blown out now from the lurkers.
Let us know how you do.

TUNAVIC
08-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Pretty cool looking carp, they have something similar in the koi family,but there actually almost totally without scales. I can't think of the name but there pretty interesting looking also,thanks for the pics and report. I think they were bred for the look in the koi,which yes I know is also a carp.

vortec_cruiser
08-13-2011, 05:58 PM
I hit up DR's spot on Thursday night. Must have been at least 25 bucket fishermen showed up at 6:30pm. Huge pyramid sinkers were zipping all around my head. Ran me right out of my spot. I ended up skunking; in fact, I didn't even get a bite. Only time I've ever skunked at that spot. I think maybe it's blown out now from the lurkers.
Let us know how you do.

I got there about 11:30 AM today, and had the place to myself. After 15-20 minutes, I got my first bite and set the hook. He was on 2-3 seconds. When I reeled in my line I had a single carp scale on the hook. Fishing for another 1.5 hours without any more action, I was ready to leave when I set the hook on something on the larger size. He immediately started heading downstream toward the submerged concrete and re-bar. After fighting him for almost ten minutes, I could feel the 4-lb. line rubbing across a rock or piece of re-bar. I then knew he wouldn't be on my line much longer. He moved off again and that was the last of the fight as my line broke.
I left at that time, knowing I'd be seeing him again next Saturday.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/Fishing2/1313263770033.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/Fishing2/1313263774786.jpg

vortec_cruiser
08-13-2011, 06:09 PM
I think maybe it's blown out now from the lurkers.

I don't think it's lurkers. Most of those I've seen are local homeless people. But the end result is still the same - taking every fish they can. And you can bet they don't have fishing licenses.

Ifishtoolittle
08-13-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't think it's lurkers. Most of those I've seen are local homeless people. But the end result is still the same - taking every fish they can. And you can bet they don't have fishing licenses.

Hey for homeless people I wouldn't look down on them taking any fish they can get their hands on. I mean think about it I'm pretty sure they do not let their catch go to waste as in everything is eaten down to the bone.

vortec_cruiser
08-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey for homeless people I wouldn't look down on them taking any fish they can get their hands on. I mean think about it I'm pretty sure they do not let their catch go to waste as in everything is eaten down to the bone.

I do have compassion for the homeless, but being in that situation doesn't permit them to break the law.

Cartman
08-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Wow, that's a great report. I had no idea we had mirror carp here. I've never seen one in any lake. Great photo. Cool.

Cartman
08-13-2011, 10:57 PM

-bb
Mirror carp are very common in Europe and England where they get to enormous size (60+ pounds). You see them on the cover of every carp fishing magazine. Very popular. I sure didn't know they were in the LA River.

vortec_cruiser
08-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Is there anything in the L.A. River that will hit a lure?

smokehound
08-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Is there anything in the L.A. River that will hit a lure?Yep. Carp!

vortec_cruiser
08-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Yep. Carp!

Have you caught them there on a lure? I've never caught a carp on a lure.

smokehound
08-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Have you caught them there on a lure? I've never caught a carp on a lure.I've had a few big carp strike rapalas. Only the huge carp seem to hit lures.. However, I was using scents, so that might have been why!

Gordita
08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
I like fishing for carps. Will probadly come by the spot this week. Nice report.

Surfer
08-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Ill be there at 5:30 today.
Come on down. Park at 25th st an LA River in LB.
DR
How exactly do I get here? I wanna give this carp fishing a try.

vortec_cruiser
08-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Sorry, but I already caught therm all this morning. I'll be posting the story with pics later today.

smokehound
08-17-2011, 05:03 PM
I bet a huge carp would love a slice of partially-cooked butternut squash.

vortec_cruiser
08-17-2011, 06:04 PM
I bet a huge carp would love a slice of partially-cooked butternut squash.

Let us know how that turns out.

Socal_Herb23
08-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi I'm new to fishing and new to this site and have 3 questions.
1) is it legal to use baby corn
2) and would it work for carp?
3) what's the best way to keep Gulp corn paste on a hook?

vortec_cruiser
08-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Hi I'm new to fishing and new to this site and have 3 questions.
1) is it legal to use baby corn
2) and would it work for carp?
3) what's the best way to keep Gulp corn paste on a hook?

1) Sure
2) I'm going to try it this coming Saturday
3) Never used it