PDA

View Full Version : Who's got the DELTA 411.....???

AbsolutePig
07-22-2011, 12:24 AM
I think this fall/winter, I'm going to take a trip up to the Delta and fish. I think I'll target the Stripes and bass. Anyone have any info on when the Stripes start to head into that area?/ If so , where abouts? A different scenary and I want to try something new. I know you have to figure out the tide and all that fun stuff. I'm just looking for a general time they start to head into the Deltas. I've been to Halfmoon Bay before in the summer for boating, but that's about it. Never did any fishing. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Kevin

4_D_ HALIBUT
07-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Hey Kevin,
I spent a lot of time as a kid/teenager fishing the delta. I'm sure you will find the experience well worth your while. Fall is one of the best times to fish the delta as long as winter doesn't decide to get an early start. The rain will muddy up the water and make striper fishing a bit tougher. But as long as the weather is good, the fishing should be fabulous. If I were you I would plan my trip for mid-October. My choice of areas to fish would be in the Rio Vista area. Every October Rio Vista has a Striped Bass Derby, I believe the dates for this years derby are Oct. 12, 13, & 14. I would stop in at Hap's Bait shop and let them know what your plan is and they will be able give you some specific info, on where the fish are biting and what the hot bait/lures are. Well I hope that helps. Sounds like fun, wish I had the time to head up there.
Good Luck,
Brian

AbsolutePig
07-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Hey Kevin,
I spent a lot of time as a kid/teenager fishing the delta. I'm sure you will find the experience well worth your while. Fall is one of the best times to fish the delta as long as winter doesn't decide to get an early start. The rain will muddy up the water and make striper fishing a bit tougher. But as long as the weather is good, the fishing should be fabulous. If I were you I would plan my trip for mid-October. My choice of areas to fish would be in the Rio Vista area. Every October Rio Vista has a Striped Bass Derby, I believe the dates for this years derby are Oct. 12, 13, & 14. I would stop in at Hap's Bait shop and let them know what your plan is and they will be able give you some specific info, on where the fish are biting and what the hot bait/lures are. Well I hope that helps. Sounds like fun, wish I had the time to head up there.
Good Luck,
Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. I've been seeing lots of quality fish come out of there for years and I've been dying to get up there. I'll have to get out a map and check out this Rio Vista area. I try and target one or two new places a year and the Delta is at the top of my list. Thanks again for the info and I'm looking forward to it!

Double A
07-24-2011, 04:39 PM
If you're gonna camp... check out Viera's resort. It's in Rio Vista. My dad used to work at their tackle shop. They have a nice campground. I believe they have full hookups, tent camping, or have small cabins that you can stay in. And, you can leave your boat in their marina so you don't have to launch and pull it out everyday.

AbsolutePig
07-24-2011, 06:37 PM
If you're gonna camp... check out Viera's resort. It's in Rio Vista. My dad used to work at their tackle shop. They have a nice campground. I believe they have full hookups, tent camping, or have small cabins that you can stay in. And, you can leave your boat in their marina so you don't have to launch and pull it out everyday.

I'll def look that up as well...thank you sir. I've also tossed around the idea of a guide trip on the first day to give me a break down of the Delta and how it works. Not too familiar with the tide and how it works.....I might need a crash course. Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to write it down before I forget.

rip555
07-25-2011, 03:14 PM
I would highly recommend going with a guide. One guide that I have had first-hand experience with every time I've been to the Delta is Vince Borges. You can contact him by going to vinceborgesoutdoors.com. He writes articles for BassWest Magazine and definitely knows what he is doing.

Robert

I'll def look that up as well...thank you sir. I've also tossed around the idea of a guide trip on the first day to give me a break down of the Delta and how it works. Not too familiar with the tide and how it works.....I might need a crash course. Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to write it down before I forget.

4_D_ HALIBUT
07-30-2011, 12:23 PM
I agree with both "Double A" and RIP. Although I never have camped Viera's, I have visited, many my out of town friends, who have camped there. It is a clean and very well run facility.

If you haven't fished the Delta before, hiring a guide is definitely a great idea. You always benefit from local knowledge wherever you fish, but nowhere is this more true than when fishing the Delta.

Good Luck,
When you get back from your trip, don't forget to post a picture of that 30 lb. Striper

-Brian