PDA

View Full Version : Need a new dropshot reel...what do you think?

Stormcrow
07-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Im fishing mostly curado 50 e7s right now. I need a new dropshot reel and Im interested in weight. Im compariing a core 50mg7 to this new Revo MGX thats comin out. The core is VERY nice but the video and raving all about the new Revo has me intruiged.

What do you guys think? Core 50 mg7 OR Revo MGX?

riverside_angler
07-21-2011, 04:00 PM
don't know much about the specs on either of them. However, I have played with that exact core a couple of times. If I had the funds, I'd be all over that core. That thing is sweet!

AngryAgent
07-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey I have had both Core's and honestly the Core 100 is the better of the two. It casts better and has a bit more line capacity. That being said Shimano's warranty is a no brainer. Get the Core and you'll be happy.

DarkShadow
07-21-2011, 04:45 PM
I've had problems with Garcias in the past, so unless the MGX is given to me to test drive, I won't go out and buy one.

The Core50MG7 is probably the last Shimano US offering where the JDM counterpart isn't better, and I actually preferred the US version.

The ONLY thing about purchasing the Core50MG7, and i've told several people this, is that you're gonna want 8 after you fish it.

BUT, if you decide with the MGX, let us know how it performs. I'm always curious to see how "Best in Shows" perform.

goose2foru
07-21-2011, 04:56 PM
I also have the core 51mg7 and absoloutly love it as darkshadow said you will want more than one. Angry agent I am not doubting you in anyway but am amazed that the 100 cast better than the 50 or 51. what do you mean by that.. and why. I can cast very light weight plastics with no weight a mile on my core 51 I also believe that the rod i have it paired with hleps i have it on the 7' 1'" cumulus...

Socal Bassman
07-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Like AngryAgent said, Shimano's customer service is the true selling point for me. I'm sure the Revo is a fine reel, but I've never had any problems with any of my Shimano reels (past or present). With that being said, I absolutely love my Core100 and wish I had the money for the Core 50mg7.

lovefofish
07-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I prefer shimano over garcia, only because I had a revo and had problems.

Ill buy that 50 e7 ;)

AngryAgent
07-21-2011, 11:40 PM
I had the 50 and I used it for quite some time in various capacities. I used it to finesse fish, crawdad fish and big worm fish and for all applications the 100 outperformed it. I know initially when you get a new reel it takes time to break in the bearings and after a bit of use it begins to cast better and the 50 did exactly that but not as well as the 100. Plus the extra bearings that you get are in the handles and don't do anything more for the reel really. Yeah it has a metal button on the 50 to engage free spool but again this is just my personal experience. Even others that I work with and fish more then 150 days a year say the same thing the Core 100 is the better reel hands down. This is just my personal opinion though not gospel.

DarkShadow
07-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Even others that I work with and fish more then 150 days a year say the same thing the Core 100 is the better reel hands down. This is just my personal opinion though not gospel.

I guess I'm the opposite. And I guess the fact that my Core100 has given me a few headaches, and my Core50MG palms a lot better for my smaller hands, i prefer it.

Also, you can really tell apart the bushings on the Core100 handle knobs, to the bearings on the Core50. After fishing with bearing supported knobs all your life, and you go back to the bushings that the Core100 has, you can REALLY notice the difference.

In fact, I'm in the market for an aftermarket handle for my Core100, because the bushings were really annoying.

Having said that, because of the fact the spool is lighter on the Core50, for dropshotting, it'd be a wiser choice than the 100.

tacklejunkie
07-22-2011, 01:15 PM
core.
Abu still reminds me of a cartoon monkey.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ni9sCb0RPw0/S8ceppQnI8I/AAAAAAAAAPI/ePoZagW8hQc/s1600/Original+-+Abu.jpg
No offense, lil fella.

tacklejunkie
07-22-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm not buying anymore "finesse" baitcasters like they call them here in the USA until it has/includes a spool rated for 6lb 90yrds.
Daiwa first on the scene with that just now? Too bad it's 5 million bucks.. but Diawas in that range tend to be worth it.
Shimano needs a Curado 25e?
I want to baitcast panther martings to trout on my next sierra fling with custom 5' creek rods.
I know a 50/100 can do it, but not with 4-6lb at 90yrds.

100 yard spool of cheap 4lb-6lb trout fluorocarbon is $6.. would fit right on and leave me 10 yards for trout worm c-rig leaders.

4lb dropshot for bass even. Where is the USA reel market leaders asleep at the controls?

50e has the best price compared to the lowest line rating right now and I think I could manage 150yrds of 6lb on there or something? Makes me have to buy double size filler spool though.

Until there, here's our only answer, my friend.
http://www.daiwa.com/images/px_main.jpg
http://www.daiwa.com/images/px_hand.jpg

The custom rod possibilities for the reel are endless.

DarkShadow
07-22-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm not buying anymore "finesse" baitcasters like they call them here in the USA until it has/includes a spool rated for 6lb 90yrds.

http://japantackle.com/Shimano/Shimano_Cardiff50SDC.jpg

TADA!

4lb(0.156mm) - 100yds

JDM, FTW.

calico killer kevin
07-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Still have that Sol?
Look for a Presso or Pixy Spool and some shims.
Tuned Sol for me.

Stormcrow
07-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Daiwa first on the scene with that just now? Too bad it's 5 million bucks.. but Diawas in that range tend to be worth it.
Shimano needs a Curado 25e?
I want to baitcast panther martings to trout on my next sierra fling with custom 5' creek rods.
I know a 50/100 can do it, but not with 4-6lb at 90yrds.

100 yard spool of cheap 4lb-6lb trout fluorocarbon is $6.. would fit right on and leave me 10 yards for trout worm c-rig leaders.

4lb dropshot for bass even. Where is the USA reel market leaders asleep at the controls?

50e has the best price compared to the lowest line rating right now and I think I could manage 150yrds of 6lb on there or something? Makes me have to buy double size filler spool though.

Until there, here's our only answer, my friend.
http://www.daiwa.com/images/px_main.jpg
http://www.daiwa.com/images/px_hand.jpg

The custom rod possibilities for the reel are endless.

TJ what IS that?

adicfor
07-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Im fishing mostly curado 50 e7s right now. I need a new dropshot reel and Im interested in weight. Im compariing a core 50mg7 to this new Revo MGX thats comin out. The core is VERY nice but the video and raving all about the new Revo has me intruiged.

What do you guys think? Core 50 mg7 OR Revo MGX?

I was given a Revo MGX to try out and I love it. It is extremely light and smooth. I have only taken out a few times so far but it is by far the best reel I have used. I just wish it came in a lefty.

tacklejunkie
07-22-2011, 06:15 PM
1New USDM Daiwa!
6lb 95 yrds. :Cool:
I was shocked when I found out too!
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_PX_Type-R_Casting_Reels/descpage-DPXC.html
Daiwas in that price range are usually gems... if you can afford them!

Yeah I need to splurge on spools for the Sol and the 50e.
Just wish they'd have a few more reels in the US equipped with them stock. ;)

I thought about selling my Sol for new stuff but I can't do it.
No more selling reels, only buying.

I can't even do that I gotta wrap tons of rods.

tacklejunkie
07-22-2011, 06:29 PM
http://japantackle.com/Shimano/Shimano_Cardiff50SDC.jpg

TADA!

4lb(0.156mm) - 100yds

JDM, FTW.

That puppy is 270 more than I'd like to pay for a $500 Diawa, although it is very nice! haha
I think I held and drooled over the calcutta 50 TE before.. isn't that one rated 6?

Stormcrow
07-22-2011, 07:05 PM
WOW that Daiwa PX type R is SWEET looking....

Not in my price range though but WOWZERS...

Nessie Hunter
07-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Jason....
Any of the small light reels of quality will probably work for ya..
Try a few out and touch and handle them, its not a cheap investment!!!!

I have 3 Revo reels (2 inshore's & 1 Toro 60) the Revo series are all basically the same reel with bling & or color changes, diff sized spools & frames....
They are dang sweet for what I paid (all sale priced)....

Its more a personal pref when it comes to the quality light reels IMO...
Tru freespool (short shaft), disengaging level wind and decent drags...

shy_boxer
07-24-2011, 04:55 AM
I agree with darkshadow shimano conquest 50TE! JDM FTW!!
That reel has been on my wish list for years. Hopefully she will be mine!!