PDA

View Full Version : Tube Necessities

Roskov
07-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Hey all. Looking to get a Fish Cat 4 mainly for the Castaic Lagoon. I don't really know anything about tubes though so I'm not familiar with what I need to get along with the FC4. I know i would need fins. Other then that I"m lost. Fishfinder?(how would you use it and where would you put it), Rod Holders (Come with the FC4?), anything else?? Any info will help. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, might be dumb to ask but do you need to register a tube or pay for launch fees?

Kelster
07-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Biggest need is a desire to have fun and catch fish. I have the best time fishing from my Fish Cat. I made rod holders from the post by Aaron and am now am going to get a fish finder. Basics are tube, fins, waders in cool weather and a PFD. Just get out there in the water and enjoy.

BassinChef
07-19-2011, 07:41 PM
water proof box for wallet and cell phone, rod floaters.I use a 3rd grip holster for my FF and extra rod.

SirBluegill
07-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Some of the stuff I bring along:
-PFD, whistle, fins, WATER (it gets hot), polarized sunglasses (the water glare/shine), sunscreen, large brim hat, small water proof box (for cell phone, wallet, keys).

vortec_cruiser
07-19-2011, 11:55 PM
If I think I might get some bigger fish when using 2 lb. line, I'll take my landing net. I just use a Ziplok bag for my wallet and keys. Cell phone is in my shirt pocket, since that's my camera, too. Just don't bend over in the water when taking off your fins. Droids don't swim well.

bassguy
07-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Best advice I could give is, keep it simple. Get your tube, buy a good comfortable pair of fins, I like the Hotspots, life vest, waders, and a whistle. Buy some Plano containers for your tackle, make sure they fit in the pockets, get aclimated to fishing from a tube, then start adding a rod holder, and a fish finder. I too, have rod floats, don't want to risk losing a setup.

As for the Lagoon, cost is $18 a day for parking and tube permit. You only have to register a tube or pontoon, if you have a trolling motor.

If you need ideas how to modify your float tube, there are several posts in this section. Here is a pic of my Super Fat Cat, I have a fish finder and 4 rod holder. Hope this helps.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/davidhalverson/TUBE1-17-09.jpg

Roskov
07-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Best advice I could give is, keep it simple. Get your tube, buy a good comfortable pair of fins, I like the Hotspots, life vest, waders, and a whistle. Buy some Plano containers for your tackle, make sure they fit in the pockets, get aclimated to fishing from a tube, then start adding a rod holder, and a fish finder. I too, have rod floats, don't want to risk losing a setup.

As for the Lagoon, cost is $18 a day for parking and tube permit. You only have to register a tube or pontoon, if you have a trolling motor.

If you need ideas how to modify your float tube, there are several posts in this section. Here is a pic of my Super Fat Cat, I have a fish finder and 4 rod holder. Hope this helps.

Nice thats exactly what I needed to know. The pic is a huge help too! Thanks

netdawg
08-03-2011, 08:13 AM
PFD I believe is a requirement for anything that you sit in and that floats on the water. The one thing you need to remember is that the more you add on the tube the HEAVIER IT WILL BE TO LUG AROUND. And the comment of just having a good time is the best. Catching fish in a tube is a completely different experience for sure!
Nice that's exactly what I needed to know. The pic is a huge help too! Thanks