PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Lake question...

ddoskocil
07-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Going there tomorrow with a buddy who lives there, but isn't much of a fisherman. Can anyone give me a heads up on what I should rig up or at least have with me in my arsenal tomorrw? He told me there are lots of bass there, some bluegill, some catfish, and there is even shad. So - targeting bass, I assume either bluegill imitators like cranks and jigs, some fluke type or jerkbaits for the shad, and of course always the senko. He said he fishes mostly around docks. If you have any other info, it would be greatly appreciated. All CPR for us. Thanks!

TheAsianGuy
07-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Wow. You have an invite into Canyon Lake heh? LUCKY YOU! Here's my info for Canyon Lake, which is dated to be 3 years old. Correct me with some new info if you have some:

Treasure Island Peninsula, southern outfall dam along Longhorn Dr (near the water treatment plant), and the bridge along Vacation Drive:

Perfect for bull and channel cats, basses, but not sure about gills. Use nightcrawlers, switchout with large red wigglies (not from Walmart..those puppies are small!), mealworm with garlic marshmallows, and of course, their favorite, extremely bloody and stinky chicken livers! If you don't have a bite in 10 minutes, switch to different bait type.

Extra arsenal to bring:
Rat L Trap type crank. White with silver dots/streak flukes (3 to 6 inches). Roboworms (pumpkin or dark brown color). Rapala X slow sink crank in green-yellow or silver-blue (basses major enticer).

TUNAVIC
07-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Wow. You have an invite into Canyon Lake heh? LUCKY YOU! Here's my info for Canyon Lake, which is dated to be 3 years old. Correct me with some new info if you have some:

Treasure Island Peninsula, southern outfall dam along Longhorn Dr (near the water treatment plant), and the bridge along Vacation Drive:

Perfect for bull and channel cats, basses, but not sure about gills. Use nightcrawlers, switchout with large red wigglies (not from Walmart..those puppies are small!), mealworm with garlic marshmallows, and of course, their favorite, extremely bloody and stinky chicken livers! If you don't have a bite in 10 minutes, switch to different bait type.

Extra arsenal to bring:
Rat L Trap type crank. White with silver dots/streak flukes (3 to 6 inches). Roboworms (pumpkin or dark brown color). Rapala X slow sink crank in green-yellow or silver-blue (basses major enticer).
AsianGuy,I don't know if it's still the same,but whenever we wanted to fish Canyon Lake we would spend the nite at the Motel right across the street from entrance,where the Mexican restaurant is,they would always give us a day pass for the lake.
Don't know if it's still the same but it was a pretty cool way to get into the lake,until my buddy bought a house
there!

TheAsianGuy
07-20-2011, 08:32 AM
AsianGuy,I don't know if it's still the same,but whenever we wanted to fish Canyon Lake we would spend the nite at the Motel right across the street from entrance,where the Mexican restaurant is,they would always give us a day pass for the lake.
Don't know if it's still the same but it was a pretty cool way to get into the lake,until my buddy bought a house
there!

They're always up in arms when outsiders (without any one from the inside knowing them) come to visit, unless there is a function inside. Every time I come into there, they would turn me down after hours since my status as a scientific inspector stops at 6pm. As a visitor, they just turned me away. So I stop going there.

TUNAVIC
07-20-2011, 11:12 PM
As I said,the motel gave you a written pass for the day,thats if you really want to fish there,as you made it sound.

usmcfisherman
07-28-2011, 08:09 PM
theres some big crappie in there to. u have to know somebody that lives there to get in or they'll throw u out.