PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finder for Fish Cat

Kelster
07-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Looks like I might be geting a fish finder for my tube and I am leaning towards the Fishin Buddy by Hummingbird. Anybody have one on their tube and pros and cons? Is the 110 sufficient or the 120 or 140 a better deal, worth the extra scratch?
I need reading glasses, and have polarized sunglasses w/ reading glasses built in, so I need to be able to read the screen. Appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

TheAsianGuy
07-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Had a Fish Buddy in the past. Very inaccurate. Best to spend just a bit more, or shop on Craigslist or used higher end Lowrance or Humminbird model, using a transducer. Just take a bit of initial rigging, and you'll get the most accurate data for your money. I saw a few used Lowrance HD and the Humminbird 700 series for $120 or less. You might want to check it out.

socal114
07-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I have to disagree with AG and have been very happy with my FB 120. By far, the easiest setup and user friendly finder for a tube. Drop it in the holder and take it out before hitting shore. On my recent trip to the Sierras I was able to locate drop-offs and other areas showing fish. The consistent result would be getting bit in these areas. On occasion, I would return to the same spot later, but no fish were showing. The end result would be no bites, so I would move on. There are obviously more advanced units available out there, but I have found the FB to be very effective. I would recommend the 120 w/side view. I would also like to know how you determine a unit is "very inaccurate"...My experiences with the 120 have been very much the opposite. I wouldn't be without it on water I'm not familiar with.

marshhawk
07-19-2011, 02:03 PM
X2 on what socal114 said, I have been using a FB 110 for 2 years, and would feel lost without it, I can see structure changes, and fish, I like the ease of the drop in mount, I am very satisfied with mine. Marshhawk

TheAsianGuy
07-19-2011, 02:27 PM
You guys must have good luck with the FB series then. A few guys and myself use the FB series. In 2 ft of water, it reports back that we're at 10ft, with the damn thing pointed straight into the water. At 10ft, it indicated we're at 25 to 35ft. One reported back that the school of fishes were in the front, the other was in the back. In the mean while, we saw the fishes to the left and right of us. We sold the FBs and went with the big LCD models. Never went back.

Kelster
07-19-2011, 02:42 PM
That is what I am looking for, different opinions/experiences and an open dialog. I really don't want to carry a battery and hook up transducers. Looking for portability, accuracy, and easy to operate. AG I appreciate your info, it seems everything that I have read shows the FB to be pretty good and accurate for tubing and slow trolling on a boat. Any other experiences are appreciated.
Thanks marshhawk and socal114.

socal114
07-19-2011, 06:22 PM
You guys must have good luck with the FB series then. A few guys and myself use the FB series. In 2 ft of water, it reports back that we're at 10ft, with the damn thing pointed straight into the water. At 10ft, it indicated we're at 25 to 35ft. One reported back that the school of fishes were in the front, the other was in the back. In the mean while, we saw the fishes to the left and right of us. We sold the FBs and went with the big LCD models. Never went back.
Sounds like you def. had a bad unit. My depth readings seem to be right on, as well as fish location. I even metered a large tree or other object at the base of a dropoff in Gull which consistently held fish in the early a.m. It was always open and I never found anyone else sitting on it. I would consistently be able to pick 6-10 fish off the location in an hour or so, before they would move out. They only seemed to hold there in the a.m.

socal114
07-19-2011, 06:32 PM
That is what I am looking for, different opinions/experiences and an open dialog. I really don't want to carry a battery and hook up transducers. Looking for portability, accuracy, and easy to operate. AG I appreciate your info, it seems everything that I have read shows the FB to be pretty good and accurate for tubing and slow trolling on a boat. Any other experiences are appreciated.
Thanks marshhawk and socal114.
I went with the FB for the same reasons you mention...I didn't want to mess with building a platform/transducer mount for a standard finder. It really is as simple as dropping it in the holder and lifting it out in a matter of seconds. I've found the (6) AA batts. last about 4-5 full day fishing trips, which is pretty decent as far as I'm concerned. Just keep the backlight off and turn the sensitivity down to about half. Humminbird also makes a nice protective case for the FB that I found on Amazon for $31. Highly recommended to protect the screen, which scratches easily, and transducer.

Kelster
07-19-2011, 07:13 PM
TheAsianGuy- pardon the pun, but it seems that you are swimming against the current when it comes to The Fishin Buddy. I asked for comments and I appreciate all, but I am leaning towards getting the 120. If anyone else has a review I would like to know.

TheAsianGuy
07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
TheAsianGuy- pardon the pun, but it seems that you are swimming against the current when it comes to The Fishin Buddy. I asked for comments and I appreciate all, but I am leaning towards getting the 120. If anyone else has a review I would like to know.

None at all. Not sure about one unit went fritzy on us. It was 3, FB110 and two 120's. We were all using tubes, with the same results. But, if everyone seem to be favored of the FB, and experience the great results, I'm no where and no way disproving the FB series capacity and functionality. It's your call.

Reellady46
07-20-2011, 08:48 PM
What is Sad is I have a bass finder on my boat. I hardly fish for bass and not sure how to use it.Where is there good bass fishing in Cali? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

RL

TheAsianGuy
07-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Only see good bass hunting in large lakes, like Diamond Valley, Perris, Silverwood, Big Bear. Smaller reservoirs like Puddingstone, Prado, Corona/Lee Lake, Irvine yield only smaller basses.

Reellady46
07-20-2011, 10:00 PM
I have got to check out Perris!

Kelster
07-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I picked up the FB 120 at BPS but they didn't have the tube strap or the carrying case in stock. I couldn't find any store in the IE with either in stock so I ordered them thru the internet and should/better be at my house later today. I plan on testing it tomorrow at LP, lots 11 & 12. I'll post how it worked and if it was easy for me to use.

TheAsianGuy
07-22-2011, 02:15 PM
NICE! Check out the depth at short interval to see if it's registering back correctly. Start with 1, 2, 5, etc. Report back on how it goes with the FB120.

LGHT
09-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Anyone have any updates on finders? It's next on my list now that I have a nice red prowler to paddle around in. I looking to get a finder that provides the "BEST" results even if it means spending a couple of extra bucks in the process I just want to get one that I can count on.