PDA

View Full Version : South OC from the surf

oakboy
07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Fished Sano and then State Park and had nothing but salad until around 1100. Then caught a couple BSP and kept seeing some big Corb's rushing the shore but could not get them on Sand Crabs. Better luck next time! At least i found a Corbina hide out... :Razz:

Sorry no pics, hopefully better fishing next time.:LOL:

KP
<><

DockRat
07-19-2011, 06:53 AM
They can be spooked if you stand in the water at times.

This pic says ' I can see 2 in the middle '
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/FishWalt/Corbina.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/jtomson/corbina.jpg
DR

oakboy
07-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Any ideas on tactics to catch these guys. I was using sand crabs and couldnt get a bite.

<><
KP

vanillagurilla
07-19-2011, 04:08 PM
you should try splitshotting or flylining the crabs, they normaly will ONLY go for the ones with eggs, softshell and just the right size.

smokehound
07-19-2011, 05:12 PM
If they can see you, they wont bite. Corbina are pretty smart, and have excellent eyesight.

If you want a nice bean from the surf, you have to go as light as possible. 6 lb test is fine.

I like using a small rubbercore sinker, no other terminal tackle. They cast better than split-shots

oakboy
07-19-2011, 08:08 PM
I had 6lb mono leader with a small swivel and 2oz. egg sinker. Next time i will try fly lined or with a small split shot. With either technique do you still do the slow retrieve?
Oh, and what is a soft shell crab?
Thanks for all the help!

<><
KP

DockRat
07-20-2011, 05:50 AM
I had 6lb mono leader with a small swivel and 2oz. egg sinker. Next time i will try fly lined or with a small split shot. With either technique do you still do the slow retrieve?
Oh, and what is a soft shell crab?
Thanks for all the help!

<><
KP

2 oz egg is way too big. You need to keep the slack out of the line but not necessary to be retrieving all the time, let it sit.

1/2 or 3/4 oz egg sinker Carolina Rigged with a 18" long 4 lb leader

Soft shells are ones that have molted (lost old shell) and have a soft not hard shell.
You stand on the wet sand and only have to cast 20' to 50' (no waders needed)
If your casting too far then you will catch Perch and Yellow Fin Croaker.
DR