PDA

View Full Version : 7/18 Kid's Lagoon - son's first fishing trip, with photo!!!

TheMightyGerbil
07-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Got there by 7, threw everything I had and worked our way around the entire flippin' lake. Mack, shrimp, crawlers, with and without scent, with and without marshmallow floater, 6 in leader, 12 inch leader, weighted, flylined, varied hook types/sizes, cast in close and far out - NADA. Not one strike. Couldn't even get a lone bluegill on a bobber-mealworm. We left at 2pm and comforted ourselves with Baskin Robbins. My 3 year old son is sorely disappointed..kinda thinking of taking him to the huckleberry pond on Thurs to take the salt out of the wound. =/ Oh, and this was my first skunk in my 15 years of angling! Oh well, had to happen sooner or later. I'd just rather it didn't happen on my boy's first time out. *shrug*

casting call
07-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Awww, sorry to hear that. If anything, at least you got to spend some quality time with your son right?????
Next time Im sure you guys will do just fine! Also it teaches your son perseverance :)

TheMightyGerbil
07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Have you ever tried having quality time with a bored and cranky 3 year old? LOL. The time outdoors was nice enough but I'm still thinking "man, that was an expensive sunburn!"

mjc89
07-18-2011, 07:49 PM
just a lil pointer. the vine kitties come out at night. remember that

etucker1959
07-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Gerbil, I have been following your attempt at trying to catch a catfish. It is very commendable to you of how clever some of your idea's were. But alas I didn't think anything you came up with would work. I don't claim to know everything, but I do have a formula for catching catfish that works for me year end and year out. Let me share with you some of the finer points. First thing is a mind set! If the mountain won't come to you, you must go to the mountain! That's too far should never be a reason to pass up a wide open catfish bite. Solution to that excuse make some friends and car pool. I can't afford to buy a fishing license, save up for it or trade a you know what pass for a license. I don't want to fish in a local park pond because there dirty and polluted. Some are worse then others but some have very clean and clear water, fish only in the nicer ponds. Gerbil "I am not trying to be hard on you", I just see that you painted yourself into a corner where failure is a likely outcome. Here is the best advice I can give to catch some catfish. Ask for help, and make some new friends. Your conversation should go something like this: ("anyone sitting on a wad of catfish and wouldn't mind a tag along") You would be surprised at the results. By the way I am sitting on a wad of catfish, look for my posts in a day or two.

fish-o-haulic
07-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Good advice etucker, also I have a thread on basics of catfishing in the tips of the month section.

PersonalBest
07-20-2011, 02:21 PM
I did read what you said about the "local park pond" but here is something you may try.....

The Regional /City Parks and Fish & Game host local kids fishing derby during the year. They are sponsored by the different groups and can be found at

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/california-fishing-derby-events.html

or by searching on Kids Fishing Derby + your area. The sponsors overstock the lakes to raise the odds in the children’s favor. The chances are your children will catch at least one or get a good bite they will remember. They also do a great job of keep the big people away from fishing the lakes out by closing the lake for the day before and only allow children to fish in the morning. This way the kids have a chance to catch fish without the adults (without kids) pressures. The adults can join in with the kids in the afternoon usually. They stock catfish in the summer fall and trout in the winter spring. They usually have raffles and give prizes away for the biggest/best/smallest/first etc. They supply the hooks/bait/boober/weights and even the sishing pole. On hand are volunteers that assist the kids in getting setup and knowledge of the species they are going after etc. Overall a great day of fishing with all the pieces ....and the best of all it is free! (the best my tax dollars do)

This may be a way to introduce your kids into the world of fishing. I hope this helps

PersonalBest

TheAsianGuy
07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Youch! Sorry to hear the skunk got to you. It doesn't matter how many years of success fish trips you get, there tends to be days, sometimes weeks, of skunk galore involve. My first trip out to the duct, even armed with the loaded info, still got skunked. Trip to Silverwood (back in the days and still now-and-then), get skunked royally, even though I know the spots to catch. Same goes with Lake Gregory, Castaic, the Lee Lake (Corona Lake), and Perris. There days you get the massive fun, while other you either get a major sunburn or a cold. I know exactly how you feel about a three year old. I got 2 years old (started at 9 months old), 4 years old (start at 7 months old), and a 12 years old (started at 4 years old). I know how impatient and whiny they can be. All they wanted it is the action, minus the patient, and heavily disappointed on the skunks. But, the skunks will build their tolerance and patient for the future. In the meanwhile, you just have to lose a bit of your sanity to deal with their whining, and a bit of your bank account to comfort their disappointments :LOL:

Ifishtoolittle
07-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Always take your kid out on at trip that is aimed at catching fish that will always bite. =Bluegills! Sucks about the skunk, but hey like you said it's going to happen eventually.

TheAsianGuy
07-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Panfishes are biting like mad in the Inland Empire waters. Not too sure about the OC, LA and SD areas.