PDA

View Full Version : Cachuma visiting our old friend Kenny from Castaic Rentals !

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Went to Lake Cachuma Saturday eve and Sunday morning, mainly to visit our buddy Kenny who used to run the Castaic Boat Rentals.

Kenny now manages the marina and tackle store/boat rentals, quite a chore now that I’ve seen the traffic that frequents that marina (Whew !)

Anyways, my main goal was to just visit and do a little bit of fishing while there…I already know the LMB and Smallmouth bass action was a little off and those species really don’t get super huge there….but other species do…

Started out with a quick shot at the LMB which wasn’t doing so good…after 30-40 minutes no action….

Targeted some crappies….and man there are some serious crappies out there…

White crappie were what wuz gonna feel the steel at this point….

Hoookup~

A nice 2lb class crappie hit the deck !

A lime green w black black 1/32th oz mini tube jig is what wuz getting the nod…

Then another !

Followed by another

These crappie were YOKED !

average 2- 21/2 lbs !

Then more…and MORE….and MORE !

U get the drift !

Kenny was hooking up but not as frequently !
He wasn’t getting bit as well on his plain white jig so I told him to pillage my jig box…

He picked out a 1/16 mini gitzit and said that he was gonna catch a trout !
(this lake has NICE holdover trout too !)

Kenny wuzn’t kiddin’

Within 5 minutes….I saw….

BENDO !

Zzzzzzzzz!

with sum nice head shakin’ !

He battled that sucka for a while on 2lb test

Landed it !

SWEET ! about a 3 ½ lb trout….full tail ! really nice fish go figure…a summertime holdover trout in 25-30’ of water !

(Kenny tells me they have that sweet pink meat !)

That wuz sweeet ! he released it.. !

By the way, I was releasing all the crappie at this point as well !

Didn’t take any pics as we were just having too good of a time ~!

I wuz way laying and slaying them slabs

(dedicate this one to U crappie mike !)

At about a 20 count I decided to keep a few so I kept 9 for table fare

I think my final tally for the slabs went about 30-35 but I actually stopped fishing for them then…
What sweet slab action….

We targeted bass again but the bite really had slowed according to Kenny about 1 ½ wks prior !

I ended up landing:

4 LMB
1 smallmouth bass

Kenny ended up blanking for them bass fishee’s

That bite wuz super tuff for the bass but at least there were other species about to supply us some action !

It was great seeing you up there Kenny, your doing a great job and those campground are pretty cool out there…great place for a family outing !

We hung out to have a simple good time fishing regardless of species…and that is precisely what we did : )

Goood times Buddy ! Good times..

Here's a couple pics of the slabsides..

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/cachunacrappie7-17-11_1.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/cachunacrappie7-17-11_2.jpg

Gary

Hometown
07-18-2011, 01:10 PM
nice report Gary kenny is a real asscet to the lake he does a fantastic job.

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-18-2011, 01:59 PM
nice report Gary kenny is a real asscet to the lake he does a fantastic job.

Yeah, I got mad props for him and what he does there…he really does have his hands full, that place gets crazy busy : )

Kenny’s cool people : )

crappiemike
07-18-2011, 06:30 PM
sounded like fun!! thnx for the dedication.....

cm

cutbait
07-18-2011, 08:43 PM
panfish slaya!!!!

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Fish fry last night..

A light corn meal mix with Lemon and pepper seasoning, fresh ground peppercorn, and garlic powder

Saweeeet ! tasty !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/cachunacrappie7-17-11_fishfry.jpg

Agro
07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Right on! I thought that was you. I walked by you at the marina about noon on Sunday. I was gonna say whats up but you were on a phone call so I kept walking.

Nice work on the crappies. I managed a few but definetly didn't slay them. You fish the narrows?

blackberg
07-19-2011, 04:22 PM
fishin my first time there this week, hope to do half as good as you, any tips?

thanks
-bb

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Right on! I thought that was you. I walked by you at the marina about noon on Sunday. I was gonna say whats up but you were on a phone call so I kept walking.

Nice work on the crappies. I managed a few but definetly didn't slay them. You fish the narrows?
didn't go back to the narrows...not sure how water clarity wuz actually at the narrows but those regions near there were very stained water.....got 1 hookup in the stained water but overallaction was slow in in the stain...

water clarity was good the further you traveled towards the dam....

Next time say hello regardless....definately that was me, I was sitting on the picnic tables as Kenny had to go back to work, I...had just pulled off the water

Glad ya got some action though : )

fishin my first time there this week, hope to do half as good as you, any tips?

thanks
-bb

If targeting Slabs, I recommend:

Plastic mini tube jigs:

1.Lime green w black back

2.Grass color green with motor oil belly/tail

in 1/32nd oz & 1 1/6th oz with 2 lbs test…

LMB I’d recommend 6” & 4” robowoms in oxblood and marquarita mutilator dropshot…

I know action has been had on the super deep diving Norman lures diving 18-20’ but overall LMB/SMB action is tuff right now…

Landed 1 on topwater very 1st thing in the morning so I’d recommend that 1st off but not for long as the sun starts penetrating quick out there..

Hope this helps….good luck

Gary