PDA

View Full Version : Sequoia/Kings Canyon Nat Park Fishing???

Piss on Myspace
07-18-2011, 01:59 AM
whats up fnn? im planning on doing some backpacking up in the sequoia / kings canyon National Park area. this will be my first time there and was wondering how the fishing was...from what i heard, apparently they have a good population of goldens???, just don't know....any tips and help is appreciated and of course, a report will follow.

Also, if anybody has been there and knows of some good hikes, thatd be cool too!!!

thanks in advance,
-dave

sierraslam
07-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Big place, where you headed exactly?

Scotto
07-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Many nice hikes at the end of Hwy 180 in Cedar Grove........Zumwalt Meadows and Sheep Crrek hikes come to mind. Also a good hike at the very end of the road to Stubbs Creek.
No goldens in the river......except WAY above road's end. The river has wild browns and rainbows, so practice catch and release. River is probably roaring right now because of the heavy snow melt. Be very careful, the river has claimed the life of many an angler.

Natural Lefty
07-18-2011, 10:59 AM
That area is not far north of the native Golden Trout habitat, so they have been widely distributed in the high coiuntry of Sequoia and Kings Canyon. Asking where to catch them is sort of like asking where a good place to catch trout in Montana is. They don't stock fish in natiional parks anymore though, so some lakes are fishless but ones with adequate spawning have fish and so do the streams.

I would suggest studying information about fishing in particular spots in the national parks and studying maps to make a workable plan. I have been backpacking in the area in the past, and have caught Goldens at Dusy Basin, Big Five Lakes, Lower Hamilton Lake, Middle Fork Kings River, and Center Basin (Golden Bear Lake area) that I remember, but that is just a small sampling of what is there.

Scotto
07-18-2011, 11:05 AM
BTW-It's Bubbs Creek, not Stubbs Creek. My bad.

Natural Lefty
07-19-2011, 09:01 PM
I caught my PB Brook Trout from Stubbs Creek -- I mean Bubbs Creek -- way upstream at Vidette Meadows. There are also Browns and Golden-Rainbow hybrids in Vidette Meadows, maybe Goldens and Rainbows too.