PDA

View Full Version : Skinner 7/16.... Rats!

P.A.W.
07-16-2011, 08:23 PM
OK so today I decided to settle in on stripers only. I got what I wanted kinda. Landed my limit except they were all the 12" rat variety. Got a couple on topwater in the early hour(s) then decided to put up the new bimini and lounge in the shade while I trolled the u-rig around. They were small, but they were agressive. I had the back end bitten off 2 of my Hammer swimbaits and the fish I landed had swallowed the bait deep.

Fish are spreading out and I was metering them all over the water column. Soon guys...... soon.

fish-o-haulic
07-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Good job out there. At least know skunk, and you did get your limit. Never fished skinner but will have to go someday.

P.A.W.
07-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Went again today 7/18 and more of the same. The u-rig was sticking shorts like crazy. I guess I have to start pricing downriggers now. Or wait a month or two for the bigguns to come up to play.

JAG107
07-18-2011, 05:43 PM
PAW if you wanna try out a DR lemme know we can team up on the killing

P.A.W.
07-18-2011, 07:27 PM
JAG107.... you have a PM

MOON
07-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Paw thanks for the report haven't been to Skinner in over a month need to go back soon....

KingShad
07-22-2011, 08:01 AM
I went out last week and limited in 3 hours with same luck as you. Drifted bait down some channels with my windsock. However, mine seemed to be a little bigger in the 2-3 lb 16" range with the largest being 4-5#. I have noticed that when I start catching small ones if I move to find the big ones that sometimes works. Other times I end up not catching anything more and regret moving. Didnt catch anything in the morning. Was throwing punker, spook, fluke, jerbaits. These do well in fall but its too early right now besides the occasional ones.

KingShad
07-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Went again today 7/18 and more of the same. The u-rig was sticking shorts like crazy. I guess I have to start pricing downriggers now. Or wait a month or two for the bigguns to come up to play.

Is catching the 12" stripers on a u rig any fun? 6# line and a medium light pole its a blast but 20# line and a u rig? Just curious because I have a few but dont use them at skinner for that reason. Maybe I should.

P.A.W.
07-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Is catching the 12" stripers on a u rig any fun? 6# line and a medium light pole its a blast but 20# line and a u rig? Just curious because I have a few but dont use them at skinner for that reason. Maybe I should.

Not really any fun, but I'm not trying for the little guys. In the meantime I'm learning by doing and trying different colors and sizes of lures. I'm also watching my graph and learning a lot about the contours of the lake.

drifter023
07-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Fun? anytime you get fish it is :Big Grin::Envious::Fishing Hole: better than a :Skunk: good job out there.